Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone here has had good luck growing and harvesting your own tea? it's something i recently decided i might want to try next year, but don't know quite where to begin. i'm probably going to start out pretty simple... maybe some chamomile, a few mints, etc. but are there any good books, catalogs or sites out there with a beginner's guide or similar to help me come up with other ideas and maybe even recipes?

thx. ::: lori

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
There is a great book on this topic. GIve me a few days and I will try to get the name of it. It is in one of my supply catalogs and I will try to look it up.

Mints are perfect for this!!

There are so many cool flavors of mint that you could go NUTS!!! But beware, they can be like kudzu and become a real problem.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I live in an apartment, so I don't have any hands-on experience growing plants for tea, but I would recommend the book Herb Gardening in Five Seasons by...can't think of author's name right now. She goes through a LOT of herbs and other plants that can be used for tea, and she has some great combo-recipes too. I was surprised to find that scented geraniums make a lovely addition to teas!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Herb Gardening in Five Seasons is by Adelma Grenier Simmons. Can you find new copies of it? My copy is from the 1960's. That would be a wonderful find.

Umm, I also like Deni Brown's Encyclopedia of Herbs & Their Uses (I think she has a new version out). Marietta Marshall Marcin has a couple herbal tea books and I think one is focused on tea gardens.

A friend just gave me The Herb Tea Book: Blending, Brewing, and Savoring Teas for Every Mood and Occasion by Susan Clotfelter. But I haven't had a chance to really get into it.

Good luck with your plans. I had to put my gardening plans off for another year. My tot is too curious and destructive for many potted plants in the house (never should have taught him the joys of mud). And my yard needs major work (needs to be leveled so my basement stops flooding) before I can dream about how to garden it. The trials and tribulations of a new home! *@#$

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for everyone's suggestions! who knows if i'll even get around to any new gardening projects next year, since our first wee one is expected to arrive several months from now... but i can at least try to plan something out and enjoy that process for a while!

::: lori

·
Registered
964 Posts
Great topic!

I am going to look up the book suggestions at the library ASAP.

I do have a thriving lemon verbena bush and I wonder if tea is just the thing to do with its leaves...I also want to discover if I can dry them for the same purpose.

I've tried to grow mint in pots but it usually dies out due to my casual neglect and/or other unseen issues. But i'll try again or find a nice wet spot in the earth.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
i would like to find camellia sinensis and actually grow some *tea*, if i can find one (as well as rooibos). any ideas?

suse

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
we grow mint around the foundation of our house to deter ants, and the leaves make an amazing tea all by themselves. not only is mint tea tasty, but it works magic on a headache! It is so easy to grow and spreads like a weed. It has beautiful flowers as well. Do try growing some for tea either outdoors or indoors in a pot for the winter. Fresh tea is so much better than dried.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
If you have a good local nusery or better yet an herb nusery, they will often have camellia sinensis plants in the Spring. I have seen it one more than one occasion for about $10 in a 4 inch pot.

As for rooibos, that could probably be special ordered...

If you can't find a local source, here is an interesting link I was able to find.

http://www.camforest.com/index.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.