Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom suggested to dh yesterday that dd "needs" a pacifier because she wants to suck a lot. I don't want to use one, and since we don't own one, it's not hard to avoid right now. Does anyone have a story or info I can show dh? And do you guys have recommendations, like when it's ok to start if he does use one? (I wouldn't be the one giving it). She's seven weeks now.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I don't have anything bad to say about pacifiers except that it bugs the crap outta me to see some one shove one in a babes mouth just to shut them up! They cry for A REASON when they're teeny! Okay, off the soap box

I used one with ds in the evenings when he was newborn. I was dead set against EVER using one but had one in the house from a baby shower. He'd cluster feed and then, after an hour or two of this, he'd want to suck and then get mad when the milk came in. WE'd been doing this routine for over an hour and I just KNEW he wasn't hungry! He just wanted to suck! He'd spit up cuz his little belly was so full! Sooooo...I caved and gave him the pacifier. Two minutes later, he was asleep
. Sometimes, when he was nursing, I could tell that he wasn't actually 'drinking' but trying to fall asleep, I'd slip in the paci and off he'd drift. I kinda think he may have been gassy in the pm and was trying to comfort nurse, but was making the problem worse by overfilling his belly. His evenings were MUCH less fussy after the advent of his 'binky'.

This is how we got him to fall asleep in his crib on his own. Routine: Nurse him, give him the pacifier, put him in the crib (in our room), put on the aquarium music-making doohicky and w/in 10 min, w/o any fuss = asleep! Until 4 hrs later when he came to bed w/ dh and I

I think that pacifiers are wonderful if they're used 'responsibly'. I only ever gave ds's his after he'd nursed and I knew he wasn't hungry. If you've got lots of milk and your babe is gaining weight, I think it's safe to use a binky everynow and then. I think it's important to establish a good milk supply etc etc first tho. WE didn't start giving ds the binky until he was past 3 or 4 wks.

At 9 mos, my ds (still nursing mind you) decided that he didn't want binky anymore and weaned himself from it.

If you really don't like the idea of a pacifier, a clean pinky finger works just as well. Some babes are just 'little suckers'
Mine was! Even in a deep sleep, those lips were constantly in motion!

Having said all this, if you don't think your babe needs a pacifier, and has been doing just fine w/o one for 7 wks, then don't use one! You don't need to justify your reasons to anyone! Your her mama and you know her best. When it comes to babies, EVERYONE seems to know what's best
. The point is, YOU, THE MAMA, know what is best for your babe! Trust your instincts and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Do a search for pacifier at
http://www.kellymom.com

THey have a list of warnings about problems they can cause, like bad latch/nipple soreness, low milk supply, getting your period back faster, more chance of child needing braces....etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.