Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No pitocin or gel, just breaking the water? I was a good 3cm 80% on last tuesday. MW said if I make it to 40 weeks should would break my water if I want. I have fast labors and need to have a few hours of guaranteed abx for my gbs.
She thinks by breaking my water I will automatically go into labor on my own. I really hope so. I don't want pitocin or gel.

Anyone have a similar experience? I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

My ultimate goal is to get the abx I need, have a pain med free birth and have a birth in the water.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Sorry, ddc crashing. You won't "automatically" go into labour & if you don't, you'll probably be on a clock of some kind to get the baby out. Personally, I'd do the natural methods to clear up gbs & get retested.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Sorry, ddc crashing. You won't "automatically" go into labour & if you don't, you'll probably be on a clock of some kind to get the baby out. Personally, I'd do the natural methods to clear up gbs & get retested.
Even if I get retested, I will still have to be treated with the abx. Once you test positive that's it.
I've read that most women who have this done start having ctx right after the water is broken. I did with my first the min the water was broken, but they then started pitocin and did an epidural so I really can't go by that experience. I was induced due to pre e.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think it's wrong to say you won't automatically go into labor.

Every woman and labor is different. There could be a chance you do, then there is the other chance you don;t.

My water broke naturally and I immediatly started active labor.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't know... no expert here, but I would be wary of this suggestion if it were offered to me. I had AROM in order to "speed things up" last time around. I guess it might have done so, but I also nearly ended up with an unnecessary c-section. I won't do it again for myself... I can say that much.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
THe thing is, you can turn the pitocin off, but you can't "unbreak" a bag of water. Having broken waters sucked for my first birth because I was on a time-clock...get the baby out before water has been broken for 24 hours "or else." I would go with other induction methods before breaking waters...they're more "reversible" if your body really isn't ready to be in labor yet! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I had my DS I had been to an appt earlier in the day showing I was 100% effaced and at 4. No ctx til 6 hrs later (and I could barely feel them) but I went to hospital and in Triage my water broke during the exam. Immediately, like literally the next ctx was much more intense and I had my DS 2 hrs later.

It is different for everyone, but it is possible that it would start your ctx. If I were to need to be induced for some reason, I would try some natural remedies (ie homeopathy, sex, etc) first then probably move to sweeping membranes, breaking water, etc. but would wait till 40weeks or later unless some sort of complication arose and I needed it earlier.

Good luck!!!

Heather

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph12334 View Post
I think it's wrong to say you won't automatically go into labor.

Every woman and labor is different. There could be a chance you do, then there is the other chance you don;t.

My water broke naturally and I immediatly started active labor.
I agree...with DD my water broke naturally and active labor started immediatly and 4 hours later she was born. So it can happen. I also would do EVERYTHING natural then membrane sweep, if I did water break I'd probably wait till 41 weeks if possible. Those hospital rules get tricky!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I think everyone's experience will be different. I had SROM with ds1 but active labor never really started. Sure, I had cx, but they never changed my cervix. So, I started pit at the 24hr mark.

With ds2, active labor started on its own, but my cervix wouldn't change because my waters were still intact and his head just couldn't come low enough to do anything. At that point, I opted for AROM and delivered him 2 hrs later.

I don't think that AROM will guarantee that active labor will start, just like SROM doesn't.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Since you are gbs+ I wouldn't risk arom. Sure you have antibiotics but they aren't 100% (actually about 80% effective). Best course of action is no ves and no arom, and no internal monitors. By doing arom and ves you increase your risk of infection because you can push the bacteria past the cervix into the uterus.

With that said, I had arom with my 3rd. I was 42+2, 4 cm and contracting every 7 min for the last 2 weeks (showed up on my bpp even). I was ready, really ready. I probably would have had the baby that day anyhow but I was looking at transfer and was on a clock. So I had arom and had my baby 2 hours later. So unless you have antibiotics before they do arom you aren't exactly guaranteed them.

·
Registered
982 Posts
DDC crashing...

My sister in law was in a similar predicament (fast labor and GBS +), she went in for the pit induction, they gave her the antibiotics and then started talking about breaking her water when things weren't progressing. When she refused the AROM, they sent her home, told her the antibiotics would protect her for 72 hrs. and they expected her to have a baby in the next 24 hrs. (she was already 4 cm with a bulging bag of water.) they were right, she went into labor on her own 12 hrs. later.

So I would ask if you can just get the antibiotics, if baby doesn't come within 5 days, do another round. In the meantime, focus on natural induction methods that don't put you on the "clock"

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
DDC crashing!

What were your first labors like? How fast?

I ask because I was induced with Pit and AROM with my first, and had DD1 in under 2 hours. But, I was also 100% effaced for weeks, and was 5 cms when I went in (at 40 weeks 3 days). I had been at 2-3 cms for about 3 weeks, then was 4 cms at 40 weeks.

With DD2, I was 100% effaced and 4 cms dilated at 37 weeks. Without ever feeling a single cx, not even a BH. That's how it was with DD1, too. On my EDD, water broke, cx began within 10 minutes, DD2 was born an hour and 8 minutes after the water broke. MW literally missed the birth, got there only 4 minutes after she was called, but still missed it.

So, if you're like me, and respond very strongly to the hormones of birth, you may well be in active labor immediately with AROM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up having my water broken. I was 5cm when I was admitted that afternoon. I had a 1.5 hour labor and was able to have Ryder in the water. It was a great experience. Thank you all for your responses. I'm glad it all worked out well.

My first dd was an induction with meds and I had 2.5 hours of labor, my second I went natural and was 4.5 hours and this one was 1. 5 hours. I def don't have long labors.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I did this option with ds. It went very well actually. My birth story is posted here on mdc.

I was 39w 2d and 4cm, had it done due to pre e. MW did it and I left the birth center and went to the mall. Ctx didnt start right away but it wasnt that long before they did.

If I hadnt went into labor after 24 hours they where going to start the cohashes and caster oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.