Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephews were accepted into a daycare until it was time to turn in the vax exemptions. Then the director said she couldn't allow them in her school. It was private, of course.<br>
But what about the public schools? I'm concerned about my very backward school district denying my son entry to school even with an exemption. They can do that, right?<br>
This might actually come up sooner with my daughter. She is fully vaxed and will not being getting any more. So, it's more likely that her exemption is going to stir the pot.<br>
Anyone have any experience with public schools not accepting exemptions??

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
No, they cannot do it. It is state law. Private institutions are the only ones that can deny vax exemptions.<br><br>
I have just been calling preschool programs for my DS. Out of the ones I have called ~ most knew nothing about exemptions and initially said "they cannot get into elementary school without them" ~ once I informed them that it was state law they gladly said they would accept him into their programs. Just some places do not realize it is state law (even the private institutions). The one program we are likely going to decide upon said that she has one other student with an exemption and it was her first encounter with exemptions. She said she called the Health Dept just to make sure they were indeed legit but had no problem with it from that point forward (and it is a private program).<br><br>
But no state directed/funded programs can deny based upon exemption status!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If that daycare receives *any* sort of federal funding (like a grant or food reimbursement), they have to accept the exemption! They may not know that....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts