Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Drs. want me to get one but I am less than thrilled at the idea. I read an Obstetrics and Gynecology study that was done that said they may not even be effective but have heard fomr moms who swear by it. Ds was born at 32 weeks, 3 lbs. 13 oz. I have never lost a baby and I am sure that would make me feel differently about it. I am just curious about what your experiences have been that lead to the decision to get a cerclage and how did you feel about the actual procedure? TIA

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I got one at 24 weeks this pregnancy. My 1st & only other pregnancy I carried to 42 weeks and he was 10lb 5oz. I am having twins this time and had an u/s at 24 weeks and they said my cervix was short and funneling and open a little. I really have mixed feelings about getting it, but I had to decide that day. I don't know that I acctually needed it, but it is done now. Why do they want you to get it? Is it because your ds was early or because it is already shortening? I have read some things that say they work and some that say they do nothing. Good luck on your decision, it is not easy to decide on things like this. There was a thread a few days ago about cerclages, have you looked at that one?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same thing happen with my last pregnancy. At 24 weeks, my cervix was super short. At that point they said it was past the date they would feel comfortable doing it. They said I had an incompetant cervix.
They would want me to do it before I even start having any indication that things are going the same route. It is such a hard decision! I will hear them out about it, but they are gonna have to try hard to convince me.

What about the actual procedure? Was it difficult? I can't believe they made you decide that day!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I'm torn. Research doesn't show they improve outcomes, but so many moms are so happy they had them. But would these moms have ended up keeping their babies in anyway, with or without the cerclage? They talk at work all the time about how they don't work, but then the doctors still put them in. Is it just more for mom's peace of mind? So they could say they did everything? I don't know. I don't know how I feel about them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegarchist
What about the actual procedure? Was it difficult? I can't believe they made you decide that day!

I think they made me decide because I was 24 weeks and that is the latest you should get one in. I think a lot of doctors would not even do them at that point, of course not having time to research it I did not know that. As far as the actual procedure goes it was not too bad. I had to get an epideral which I have never had before and that was really weird. It was so strange to not be able to feel my belly and the babies, as soon as I lost feeling I started to feel really bad about the whole the thing. I got really sick and threw up a lot, but I tend to throw up over everything. I also got this feeling in my throat liike when you are at the dentist andand you feel like you are choking and can't swollow. Once the nausea went away I was much better and I did them doing the stitches at all. Being in that room was really weird with me legs up high and everyone doing things down there and not feeling anything. The hospital did let my midwife come in to the OR with me even though she has affilitation with the hospital & that was really great, I don't know what I would have done without her there. I stayed in the hospital overnight and have felt fine since getting it done. The first day I was out of bed much it hurt a little, like the stitches were digging in, but that only lasted a day or two. I have heard such mixed things on them, it is hard to know what to think. My doctor told me that it was a very controversial thing & basically said that if I had the babies next week we would have wished we did it & if we did do it and something happened (accidentally breaking water bag, infection, etc.) we of course would wish we had not done it, but it was our decision to make and we did. At this point I really don't think that I needed it, my cervix has acctually gotten longer in the past 2 weeks, but who knows. I am so sorry that you have to go through this, it is just so hard. You don't want to put your baby and your body through this if it is not needed, but if you don't do it and you have your baby really early you will wish you had gotten it done. If you have any other questions about it feel free to ask.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My experience:
My 2nd pregnancy, I was discovered to have what was dx as a short funneling cervix at 21 weeks, I was sent to the hospital and put on mag sulfate overnight, the next day i sent home on strict bedrest. I had internals done every week (at my home by my midwife) unitl 26 weeks when I was found to 5 cm dialated. I was hospitalized for 10 weeks on strict bedrest (bed pan strict). I delivered my dd 8lbs 20zsat 38 weeks unmedicated in a birthing center with my midwife.

This time around my ob/gyn (who btw owns the birth center) advised a cerclage at 16 weeks after an amnio (to assure viability, I am 40). I did some research and found out you have to have a spinal or an epidural, that did it for me, I will not have an epi nor will I give this baby any drugs. I went to see a perinatalogist at Yale, they are on the cutting edge. They did not think a cerclage was necessary nor effective (due to a recent study they had completed) and given the fact tha both my pregnancies were carried to term. The tech checked my cervix at 18 weeks and said she thought it was funneling, the resident came in and said I fell in the catagory of "We should never have been looking at her cervix", she did not think it was funneling, so she called int he Chief Radioligist and he said 'cyst', no doubt and it was probably a cyst the last pregnancy, mistaken for funneling! All the interventions and stress that followed probably caused the pre-term labor! Had my cervix checked again at 20 weeks and an internal at 24, cervix is LONG HARD and SHUT! I am almost 27 weeks now and not stressing over this, I am even over the last fiasco.

So... that's my story. Misdx do happen, and doctors whould rather err on the side of caution, so my advice is go to a top notch perinatalogist and get a second opinion, maybe even a 3rd.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I agree - get the best perinatologist you can - someone at a local university, teaching hospital, etc for a second opinion. It made a difference in my care (no cerclage, despite common symptoms of preterm labor). They were far more cautious and conservative in treatment than a friends' doctor, and she did have a cerclage. She was happy with it, though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for your words and stories. I am so torn. I thought I would never do it. Then I read a post and thought I should. Then I read another thread and thought "No way!" AHHHH! It is so hard. The dangling carrot of a full-term/no bedrest pregnancy is so overwhelming! But of course there is no guarantee that it will work or worse that it will rupture the membrane and CAUSE preterm labor.
Stupid cervix! I mean, beautiful wonderful, loooong, strooong cervix!
:

I do not know what to do, but I know that I am going to talk to the docs AND get a second and third opinion. The thing is I really love these guys. And I do not usually like or trust doctors. Well, I know my intuition will lead me to do the right thing for this babe. Thanks for the support!

Heather

·
Registered
316 Posts
MY OB/GYN is a great guyand as I mentioned he owes the Birthing Center. He visited me often (as a friend, not just my doctor) while I was in the Hospital on bedrest those 10 wks, he even offered to bring me a glass of wine I was craving! He took care of my mom, and did not charge her, we are talking a couple thousand here, BTW.

Believe it or not it was one of his midwives that strongly suggested I get the second opinion and I am glad she did it. I asked her why she would 2nd guess her own boss and she said, 'I am talking to you not as my patient, but as my FRIEND'. She delivered both my dds at the birth center and also visited me often inthe hospital and brought me treats, lol.

Don't feel bad about getting a 2nd opinion, you are not offending anyone by doing so. You have to do what is best for you and your baby.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts