Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is almost 2.5 and only really comfort nurses to sleep at night. Sometimes I hear him swallow once or twice, but given the supply issues we had, and the fact that he's only been nursing once a day for months, I'm very sure that there isn't much milk for him to get to. I've kind of passively tried weaning him over the last few weeks, but he isn't ready.

I have some sort of uber nasty upper respiratory/possible Lyme disease thing going on and I've been prescribed doxycycline. I am very well aware that pregnancy is an absolute contraindication for this drug (so not a problem), and I'd really rather not take it but don't feel I have better options. Can anyone tell me what Hale's has to say about this stuff? Will I just have to shut down the boobs for 10 or more days and see what happens after, or could I go ahead and nurse ds to sleep?

TIA

· Registered
648 Posts
From Hale's

Doxycycline

AAP: recommendations: not reviewed

Doxy. is an antibiotic and belongs to a class of antib. known as tetracyclines. Tetracyclines given orally to infants are know to discolor teeth and inhibit bone growth. Doxy. and oxytetracycline stain teeth at least. Although most tetracyclines secreted into breastmilk are generally bound to calcium preventing their absorption, doxycycline is the least bound (20%) and may be better absorbed in a breastfeeding infant than other tetracyclines. Prolonged use could alter gastrointestinal flora and cause stained teeth. Short term use (Less than 3 weeks) is probably okay. No harmful effects have been reports in breastfeeding infants, but prolonged use is not advied.

Relative infant does: 4%
Time to clear: between 2.5 to 5 days
Lactation risk category: L3 (L4 if used chronically)
Pregnancy risk category: D
Adult dose: 100 milligrams daily

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.