Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some really nice ribs from the farm but have no clue how to cook them. Help! They are baby back ribs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There are SO many schools of thought on ribs!! Here is my 2 cents:<br><br>
My dad always soaks his ribs in a bit of apple cider vinegar for about an hour first to tenderize them. I never do this though.<br><br>
I use my dad's dry rub that consists of 2tbs. of sugar, brown sugar, ( I know, I know sugar!! ) ground cumin, garlic powder, NM red chili powder, B. pepper, 1tbs. of grey salt, cayenne, and 4tbs. paprikia. I keep the rub in a mason jar and use it as I need it. ( We tend to do a lot of smoked meats etc. at our house ).<br><br>
I place the ribs on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper ( easier clean up ) and place them fat side up in a 275 degree oven. I flip them every 30-45min or so and baste with their own fat as I do this. Meltingly tender with great crispy bits happens after about 3- 4 hours.<br><br>
My friend in NM does her ribs "Naked" and salt and peppers them with some olive oil.<br><br>
You can also start your ribs in a low oven and then finish them over a hardwood fire for that smokieness. I've also heard of folks who brown their ribs under a broiler and cook them in a crockpot with a sauce. ( I would never do this with a beautiful rack though, although I have done something similar with beef short ribs ).<br><br>
If we are wanting a little sauce ( which usually we don't need it ) I have on hand a homade apple cider vinegar and pepper North Carolina type. Another amazing sauce is Coconut Jerk. It is spicy and delicious and great on everthing from eggs to fish!<br><br>
Good Luck! Yumm, ribs sound really good right now!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I posted a <a href="http://food-n-stuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/sweet-sour-ribs.html" target="_blank">recipe for ribs</a> on my food blog a while ago... it was pretty tasty, but not conventional ribs sort of thing. I used beef ribs but pork would have been just as good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts