Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a small organic farm and would like to plant part of our land with wheat, but I can't find anyone who sells seed wheat, organic or otherwise. If anyone out there is growing organic wheat, where did you get your start from?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I have been getting spring and winter wheat from the health food store.It is for cooking,but they grow quite well in my sprout tray.Perhaps that would be an option.I get a pound for $1-2.Same with rye.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Bountiful Gardens has lots of great stuff!! I'd never checked their website before but I'm sure we'll be ordering from them. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I recently ordered from Bountiful gardens.Mainly wanted the stinging nettle,and then ordered a few other things.My only qualm with them is when I order something that lists 1200(or more) seeds I expected a decent amount.I have read garden review boards that has the same complaint about BG-low amount of seeds. Atleast the few nettle I did get are growing!

Seeds of change has bulk wheat too.I would still try the hfs for seeds.Lol,I usually grow the wheat or rye to make hiding places for our 5 toads.Then when it dies I toss it in our compost.
Happy growing!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I Highly recommend FEDCO and Johnny's Selected Seeds.

Both have a wide range of field crops, and definitely more than a few types of wheat, both organically and conventially grown. Both are doing good things with their businesses and both give a lot of good supportive info in the catalogues. They also both cater to a mixed market that includes both home and farm growers. They have seed quantities available ranging from one pound or less to hundreds of pounds.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
You can also find wheat seed at your local natural food stores. The grain in the bins may be planted as well as eaten, just be sure you know whether you are getting winter or spring wheat so that you plant in the proper season.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
Thanks for this info. I was actually wondering if that would work. I knew you couldn't plant the potatoes you buy in the store, so I thought maybe wheat would be the same. That's good to know though, because we have a nice local health food store - It would much rather buy local than have to order online for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts