Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a recipe for GF bread that's made from soaked grains or sourdough, and doesn't use refined gums or similar additives, such as guar, xanthan, or methylcellulose. Standard-size loaves would be nice, but mini loaves or flatbreads would be okay too. I have many years of experience with conventional (non-TF) gluten-free baking, and I know that I won't be able to replicate those types of things without gums. I'd just like something that doesn't fall to pieces when we go to spread butter on it.

The only recipes I've found use a lot of ground flax seed, which has too much fiber for my little ones. Maybe I could try using the soaked flax goo, but I'm not sure how to go about substituting it. There's also chia seed, which I haven't played around with yet, but it looks like fun (though maybe that's just because of the "chia head" association
). And eggs are fine for us, especially egg whites; we tend to have a lot of them around, as I'll often add the yolks to sauces and soups.

I'm open to using pretty much any unrefined GF flours: grains, nuts, root starches, seeds, soaked beans, etc. We have a Vita-mix with the dry jug, and a Bosch mixer with the Family Grain Mill attachment, so I should be able to pulverize just about anything.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! That looks great. I have a buckwheat intolerance, for some reason, but maybe the soaking and fermenting would solve the problem. I'm not eating grains at the moment anyway -- just baking for the children -- but it would be nice to have something to look forward to.

I've also heard that kudzu and agar-agar can be used in GF baking. I happen to have a package of each (they're in my "I have no idea why I bought this" drawer
). The kudzu is very white, so I'm guessing it's refined, but I've read that there are less refined versions available. Again, the catch is that I have no clue how I'd use it.

Another option would be to try to adapt some South Asian recipes, like rice flour crepes, idli, and dosa. But I've heard mixed reviews about how well they work with brown rice.

Slightly OT, but does anyone have a copy of "Gluten-Free and Wheat Free Gourmet Desserts"?

http://www.suretalent-books.com/

The recipes in the book don't contain any gums (and the web site is where I first read about the chia seed slurry), but I'm not sure how TF-compatible they are. They appear to use stuff like whey protein powder, cornstarch, and white rice flour. And the authors' bread recipes -- available free on the web site -- do contain xanthan gum.

I just came across a used copy for $10 + shipping, so I'll see how it goes. Even if I manage to adapt one recipe that turns into a favorite, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Oh- thanks for posting that- I was laying in bed trying to remember where I had a bookmark for some savory gf waffles and it is on that site- here are some more:
http://tynanfamily.wordpress.com/200.../gf-sourdough/
http://everythingfreeeating.blogspot...revisited.html

These might not meet all the requirements- but it is certainly a step ahead usual gf fare. Disclaimer- I have made any of these as I have been grainfree myself for a while- although am looking into again as pregnancy cravings are getting to me- I am really wanting a sandwich!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I just made brazilian cheese bread yesterday....I got the recipe here:
http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2008...ca-recipe.html

the thing that I like about this is that it is a normal recipe, that happens to be gluten-free....and it's eaten by the millions in Brazil (somehow makes me feel better)
I did this for the first time yesterday, it wasn't bad, kids LOVED it!
I would add a little less cheese and more butter next time.
(this is assuming you can do eggs and dairy)

it is super simple and quick too, which is nice.....you can find measurement conversions online. I halved the recipe, I think it was 4 cups of tapioca, 1 cup of milk and 2 cups of cheese (that is the halved version).

In Brasil they have these little stands where you go in and order a bread and you pick your toppings. They have everything from olives to meats and sun-dried tomatoes, etc. It is very appealing.

I had emailed Sally Fallon once to ask about yucca starch, she wasn't too familiar with it but said that starches did not have to be soaked. I think it's a pretty nutritious starch. I couldn't find it organic......
not sure if it is as nutritious as wheat but it is more of a treat for us....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the recipe -- that Brazilian bread is really good. I had it for the first time at a farmer's market, and couldn't believe it was GF. I kept asking the lady over and over... she must have thought I was nuts, LOL.

I'm not sure I'd want that sort of starch as the basis of our everyday bread, though. Even if it's not really refined, it's kind of empty carbs, kwim? But I agree that the chebe is a good treat.

FWIW, I've heard that arrowroot is the best of the "white starches." It has to be grown on very mineral-rich soils, so it's naturally high in calcium. Thus, the practice of giving arrowroot biscuits to teething babies.

Another chewy option is brown rice mochi, but it's a choking hazard for babies and toddlers. We used to have the store-bought kind a few times a week, before our first child was eating table food. I miss it!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by daisycullen2003 View Post
where do you all get the manioc for the brazillian bread recipe??

thanks!
lisa
any health food store should have it, I bought mine at my local one and WF has it too.....unfortunately it is not organic....it's called Tapioca

definitely only cook enough to eat in one day and freeze the rest. when you want to eat some you grab them from the freezer and pop them in the oven. because the cooked ones taste pretty bad the next day (although my kids were still all over them and I give them regular bread as well)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.