Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD1 is going to Kindergarten this year and she hasn't had chicken pox. I really don't want to get the shot for her. DOes anyone have them? We're by Fort Smith Arkansas, but I would travel a bit to get them. Anyone?????

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Does she have to have the shot before going to school? From my understanding, Mississippi and one other state (not Arkansas) are the only places that you only have a medical exemption for vaxes. Other states have philosophical and/or religious exemptions.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, there is an exemption, but it was explained to me by a fellow MDC mom that if I did the exemption and ever vaccinated another child the exemption would be void. And I havne't got dh on board for that, right now we are delaying our youngest. So that isn't an option right now. THanks though.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Arkansas has religious exemptions as well. My ds is attending preschool this year and it took about a week for ours to be processed. Just have to call the Dept of Health and they send you out an application.

Also, there is no state-wide vax reporting system, to the best of my knowledge. I do not think DHHS would have any way of knowing if you ever vax'd after receiving an exemption.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Arkansas has a philisophical exemption now, the religious one was ruled unconstitutional because you had to prove to the state that your religion was a "real religion".

You have to go to Little Rock to get the form from the DHS-people, or they will mail it to you (for some stupid reason you can't just get one from smaller, local offices) and you have to have it noterized when you sign it (I get a lady at my bank to do it). The only thing is that you have to re-apply every year, but they automatically mail you the papers every May after your first time.
I've done it hassle-free for several years, but they screwed up my sisters and that was a hassle (they thought she was me because I changed last names this year they assumed she was my old name, state employees can be so stupid sometimes!)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seren
True, there is an exemption, but it was explained to me by a fellow MDC mom that if I did the exemption and ever vaccinated another child the exemption would be void. And I havne't got dh on board for that, right now we are delaying our youngest. So that isn't an option right now. THanks though.
You can still apply for an exemption for your children regardless of their vaccination status. For example, you can file exemptions for all your children and then vaccinate as you wish. The state does not need to know at all. It would work out in your situation. I just turned in an exemption for my ds to enter kindergarten. He's fully vaxed up to 18 months and only lacks 4-5 yo boosters. However, I have since learned about vax and am no longer vaccinating him or any other children (dd is nearly 2 and not vaxed). But I didn't want one child on record with vax and another with exemptions. Plus, I wouldn't be getting him the boosters anyway.

The form also has boxes to check which vax's you are opposed to. I believe you can be selective with the vax you don't want under the philosophical exemption, but maybe post your question on the vaccination forum to be certain. They have helped me a lot with the technicalities of filing an exemption.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momofsixinarkansas View Post
I'm in Batesville, and it isn't confirmed yet but we think that my SD4 has chickenpox if you are still interested in exposing her, I can keep you updated!

I totally just got this. I've been out of town. I bet I missed it, huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts