Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i might have it, but i'm not sure. with dr. and lc, i have ruled out bad latch and thrush, but have had excruciating pain since my babe was born 3 1/2 months ago. i also have pain with exposure to cold. could it be raynaud's?

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
It definately could be. I had severe Reynauds early on bfing my dd.

Do your nipples get white (blanched) after your baby unlatches?

I was able to completely get rid of mine with Vit. B-6

Here is the regimen my IBCLC put me on:

200mg for 1 week
100mg for 1 week
50mg maintenance (until symptoms are completely gone. If symptoms return, start taking 50mg again).

After that first week you should notice a vast improvement. You can also take some extra calcium and magnesium.

To help in the meantime you can use a warm wash cloth on your nipples right after nursing to help the blood return faster. I found a hair dryer to help also (although be careful not to dry your nips out too much
)

Let me know if you have other questions! I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! The blanching is what made me think it is Raynaud's (I read about it on kellymom.com). Before that, I thought I was suffering from mystery pain. I'm kinda bothered that none of the LCs that I saw, neither of the two drs I went to and no one at LLL ever even suggested it to me. Everyone was soooo eager to say that it was thrush.

I'm going to check with my doc and try the B-6 starting tomorrow!

Thanks soooo much

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by buglette
Yes! The blanching is what made me think it is Raynaud's (I read about it on kellymom.com). Before that, I thought I was suffering from mystery pain. I'm kinda bothered that none of the LCs that I saw, neither of the two drs I went to and no one at LLL ever even suggested it to me. Everyone was soooo eager to say that it was thrush.

I'm going to check with my doc and try the B-6 starting tomorrow!

Thanks soooo much

I had to go see the Grand Mama of all LC's (and IBCLC's) in my area to get the proper diagnosis. Everyone seems to think its "so rare" that it must be thrush. The woman who diagnosed me says its actually quite common.

Just to clarify, it is not the same Reynauds that people with an auto immune disorder often get. It is soley related to the breast and is not a long term thing. Your doctor may try to prescribe a blood thinner, but its not neccesary. The B-6 is a wonderful therapy for this condition.

GL

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Thanks for the B-6 idea from me too!

One thing that I've found that helps is wearing wool breast pads. When I leak, they become warm rather than cold (like disposible ones and some cotton ones do). It seems to help a lot with the pain.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My sister in law was having horrible pain after nursing her first son and was about to give up, I thought it was thrush, but when she went to the doc, he said raynaud's and gave her a lidocaine spray to use after nursing when the pain was horrible, and it worked for her and nursing is so much better for her now he is 5 months.
crystal

·
Registered
336 Posts
It can't be that rare!
I have it, and I believe my sister did also.

I just made sure I didn't have them exposed to air much in cold weather. I didn't have a problem as long as I kept them covered.

But, I knew it might be an issue because I've known I had Raynaud's for years. My fingers and toes will go white/yellow and 'bloodless' in the cold. I have to be pretty careful. Thank goodness my sister warned me ahead of time that nipples can have that problem, too. I had no idea!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could be, i had a friend that had a mild case of that.

It really probably is just nipple confusion though.

Has your baby ever had a bottle or pacifier???

You have to totally get rid of all other artificial nipples and retrain them to nurse correctly instead of clamping down on your nipple.

Make your boobie into a nipple sandwich and shove it in as far as it will go into baby's mouth. take it off, if you still hear a clicking noise when baby sucks, and try again.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hapymom View Post
It really probably is just nipple confusion though.

Has your baby ever had a bottle or pacifier???

You have to totally get rid of all other artificial nipples and retrain them to nurse correctly instead of clamping down on your nipple.
Not sure I understand this.
What in the OP suggests nipple confusion to you--particularly at 3.5 months and given that she's been working with an LC and they've ruled out latch problems?

I also have Raynaud's. My first 8 weeks of nursing were excruciating--I cried through most feedings. I had thrush on top of it, which made things much worse. Now, at 4 months, things are SO much better. For many people, it gets better with time.

One way to distinguish Raynaud's from blanching caused be bad latch/clamping down: with the latter, the nipple is usually white right when the baby pulls off. With Raynaud's the nipple may be pink for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, because it's the exposure to cold, not the latch itself, that cause the blanching. Many people with Raynaud's also have blanching of the nipple between feedings. This happened to me as well. My nipple would suddenly feel burny and painful and, sure enough, I would look down and it would be white.

One thing about the B6 therapy--B6 can cause supply problems. If you already have a good supply, I wouldn't worry about it, but I would at least pay attention to make sure it's not affecting things.

The other thing you can try in conjunction with (or instead of, if you do have supply problems) B6 is evening primose oil (1000mg a day) and/or magnesium (1000 mg a day). I used both of those, and they helped.

The medication that's typically prescribed for Raynaud's is Nifedipine, an anti-hypertensive. I've heard that people have wonderful results with it, if the other therapies don't work for you. It's a very small dose (the regular dose is 30-60 mg; for Raynaud's I think they start you at 5-10 mg), and you usually only have to go on it for a few weeks. I would have taken it in a second, honestly--but I already have unusually low blood pressure, so I couldn't take an anti-hypertensive.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.