Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying not to panic... my 19 month old son is not walking (except on his knees) and the only word he says is "DA"... early intervention came in and said he is "globally delayed".. They said that means he is delayed across the board. I am both relieved and devastated.. obviously growing up is hard enough and I want my kids to just breeze through life.. but with a delay, I am so afraid that will mean a lifetime of being a little behind. I just want someone to share their experience to help me feel better... I love him no matter what, and I am glad we are getting the help he needs from pretty early on, but it is still difficult. I know he is in good hands.. he is having his vision and hearing checked and is scheduled for PT for tight hamstrings and achilles tendons.. hopefully that helps his walking. (he is always way up on his tiptoes).. I would love to hear success stories from those of you who have had early intervention. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am a pediatric PT and I work in EI, but my 4yo DS also went through EI for speech delays. You are absolutely on the right track and seem to have all of your ducks in a row so to speak. The earlier a child receives therapy the better because our brains are more pliable in the first three years of life than at any other time. By starting at 19 months you are minimizing the likelihood of your child needing additonal help when he is older and more aware of the social implications. The quality of EI programs vary by county. Don't hesitate to ask questions or get second opinions if you feel it is necessary. You are your child's best advocate. With that being said we had a good experience with our program for the most part. My son received speech therapy for about a year(?) and is doing well now. As a therapist I have exited many kids from services before their third birthday and have a small percentage who cintinue toneed services beyond their three. Good luck. I hope your experience is positive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My son has been receiving PT services through EI since around 6 months old for hypotonia (low muscle tone). He has made great progress and my guess is he will likely test out by the next evaluation cycle in 6 months. We have had a very good experience with EI overall. They always come out to the house which makes meetings and treatment sessions easier. It also allows me to get suggestions for things that will help my DS throughout the week using the things that are accessible to us.

It sounds like you are on the right track in getting your son some services. Best of luck to both of you!

·
Registered
189 Posts
My DS has received PT and ST through EI since he was 8 months for PT and 18 months for ST due to low muscle tone and torticollis (now resolved). In the last year and a half, he has made very good progress, though he is still behind where he "should be" right now his PT says he is slowly but surely catching up. I agree with the PP about you being the best advocate for your child. If there's anything that bothers you or have questions about, don't hesitate to speak up. My DS has had two PTs, and I can clearly see the difference in progress with the one who is a better fit for him. You might also want to check out the Special Needs Parenting board here, many mamas there also have a lot of experience and wisdom to share regarding EI. You are doing a great thing by getting your DS the help he needs!

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
My 2y receives services through EI currently and has since 19m as well. Right now we are getting weekly speech therapy, we did receive some PT for hypotonia previously. He is running, jumping and playing like most kids now, he does wear orthotics, and the speech isn't there, but it is coming.

·
Registered
308 Posts
All of my children have been through EI. My youngest is just getting started in the program for gross motor delay. Both of my older children went on to the public school program. They were both like your son delayed in all areas. They were off their IEP's(individual education plan) by kindergarten. Take advantage of all the services offered by Early Intervention.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.