Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont even know if I can post this, but I figured I might as well try! My dd is 10 months old and has been having growth problems since she was 4 months old. I know my milk supply went wayyy down at that point and has gotten even worse in the last few months-despite her nursing literally every 15 minutes around the clock. Well, now she has started loosing weight and I have been advised by her very AP ped and a LC (I am going to see a second one for another opinion too, just in case) that I should start supplementing. I have no desire to wean and I will always give my milk first but there it is. I have PCOS and we think that my hormones being all nutty from that is what is causing the problem. I have tried everything I can think of to increase my supply and nothing has helped. So....here is the next issue-my dd is allergic to formula. All formula (its probably the iron in it, my ds had the same problem-it isnt the milk cause she didnt react to cows milk). Nevermind the fact that I dont really want to give her formula anyway. So I am hoping that there may be a couple of mama's with extra milk in their freezers that may be willing to donate to me. It would be MUCH better for me to find someone in my area (I live near Seattle) because I literally have no income at the moment to be paying for shipping expenses-we are starving students, lol. I feel horrible because I have never had an issue before-I nursed my other two just fine-so I took all the extra milk I had in the freezer and donated it to two other moms. And now my daughter needs it! Anyway, if this isnt supposed to be posted here, can you move to the right place?? Thank you for listening!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I would, but am in Canada. Maybe try posting this in 'Finding your Tribe'??

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I have been all over Kellymom, but nothing seems to be helping. I am on just about every herb known for helping milk supply and I am now pumping after every feeding to make sure I get fully emptied, but I am not getting much of anything out. I am hoping the extra stimulation will help though.
I just paid and joined milkshare earlier today, but havent heard back as of yet. I am crossing my fingers!! I did find someone in the finding your tribe area, so thats a start

·
Registered
904 Posts
Ugh, so sorry you're going through this.

I have a son with failure to thrive, not due to my milk supply, but I can relate a bit. Ours is a long long story which I won't go in to.

One thing I discovered: pumping a zillion times a day (which I tried around a year old) actually DECREASED my supply to the point where I thought my milk was drying up. I talked to a wonderful lactation consultant who shared the stress/milk supply link with me.

I totally gave up pumping, relaxed, and decided that whatever I had to give, I would give to my ds. I imagined milk spurting out of huge milk volcanoes.
This really helped my supply a lot.

It did not help ds, his FTT continued. And relaxing and visualizing an abundant supply may not fix your supply problem to the point where you'll need no supplementing. I'm not saying "this is the answer to all your problems."

What I am saying is, wow you are doing a LOT of pumping, and you are understandable stressed, so maybe giving yourself some slack will help at least a little.

I wish you all the milk you need for your sweet one, one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
how much does it cost to ship milk from texas to seattle? I'd be glad to help whatever way I can, but I don't know how easy it would be to get the milk there....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hey -
I have a huge oversupply, but I'm in Victoria. We might be coming down to Seattle on August 20th, and I don't know if I could bring a bunch of frozen breastmilk with me if you wanted to pick it up from me down there. Does anyone if they would give me a hard time at the border?
Good for you for being such a responsible and caring mother by looking for milk for your child - I really admire you.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard from others that it isnt an issue, but I dont know 100% for sure. Maybe I will post the question on here and see if anyone knows
That would be soooo cool though!
I stopped pumping except for twice today. I got about the same amount as I would have in total pumping all day. I really dont think pumping a ton is going to help as it seems to be a hormonal issue. I am going in on Tuesday to my regular doc to at the very least have my thyroid checked and hopefully can convince him to check my other hormones.
From what I understand shipping can cost like $150 for a cooler of milk. What I have been told on Milkshare is that you dont really need dry ice if you completely fill your cooler-it stays frozen-and you can use a disposible cooler, though she said it is better to use a real cooler. I would think though that a disposible cooler inside a box would do fine. Anyway, the expensive part is the actual shipping cause you have to ship overnight.
I am going to talk to my MIL and my mom and see if either of them could help with shipping costs. If they cant, I really cant do anything until September though
I'm crossing my fingers!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have lots of extra. I have probably 300 ounces in the freezer right now. I dont have any problems with stocking back up either. My little one is a good eater. I have taken fenugreek though when I was pumping to build up my supply and the supply in the deep freezer. So that milk is from Fenugreek use. If you want and need it - it is yours. I just dont know about the shipping. Email me.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I know a mama nursing mama in Everett, but I don't think she has a pump. I'll talk to her for you and post back.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hi, mama. So sorry you're going through this.

There was recently a long series of posts on Milkshare about the best way to send milk. Although some people do pay as much as $150, from what I read, USPS can be just as good an option for a LOT less. If you haven't already, read the backlog (just in the past week or so, I think) for lots of helpful tips.

And I know some people have had good luck shipping frozen milk with no dry ice, but in the summer... boy, it seems worth it to me for the peace of mind.

Also (as a donating mom here), it's really nice if you offer to reimburse the pumping mom for the breastmilk freezer bags.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going in on Tuesday to get my thyroid checked, hopefully. I do have PCOS though and the LC's said that was probably the problem-my hormones are out of whack. Who knows though...I had a bad postpartum hemorrhage after my 3rd and have only been having problems (not just the milk-I have the polycystic ovaries, hair loss, headaches, visual disturabances-which they said was due to intracranial hypertension-weight gain, fatigue, etc. etc) since then so I am hoping I can get my pituitary gland function tested at some point. The thyroid test is a good start though.
I know I should reinburse for the bags and I would if I had the money. I have several boxes of bags that I have been offering local moms who have offered to pump (though none have taken them as of yet). Of course, if I actually come up with the money to have some milk shipped to me, I am sure I can cover the cost of the bags
I just dont have the money for either right now!!
Thanks for the shipping info. I was thinking about USPS too-it would be almost half the cost, about $75 for 500 oz of milk vs $130 through FedEx or UPS. I think you are right though, I would rather use dry ice during the heat like this. It would be awful to get a box full of thawed milk
Of course, it would be nice for the donor to not have to go get dry ice, but I am sure they dont want it to show up thawed either!! I am hoping and praying that my mom can help me out and cover some shipping costs for me. Luckily, we have a chest freezer anyway and right now it is almost empty, so I have PLENTY of room! Thanks for all the support!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and everyone I have talked to said that there isnt any problem crossing the border with breastmilk. They said its better to say its for your baby, instead of to donate, but I talked to two other moms who crossed the border with frozen milk and no problems.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well, I wish I could ship you some milk, but that won't work. However I did pick this info up on another board about milk issues. Try Blessed Thistle instead of Milk Thistle. Goats Rue has been known to do AMAZING things, as it is usually given to moms who have adopted and wish to lactate. Hope that helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts