Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH and I are going to start TTC #2 in August or September but I had a very hard pregnancy the first time around. I went into preterm labor at 26 weeks and was on strict bedrest until the end. I also had gestational diabetes which made it even harder. I don't want to go through the same thing again but I know my chances are much much higher to GD again. Is there anyone out there that had GD with the first and not subsuquent babes? Any advice?

Jenn

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I haven't BTDT but my best friend did. She had GD with #1 but not #2 and so far not with #3. I know she watches her diet, which I think is really low on carbs. Sorry, not much advice, but there is hope. GL!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just found out I have gestational diabetes and I'm on number 1. I've heard of lots of people, though, that didn't have it the second or third time around. Basically, these people either tried to follow a strict diet the whole way through pregnancy or lost weight. Before I try for #2, my goal is to lose all pregnancy weight plus 10 pounds. That means I will have 20-30 pounds to lose before I can get pregnant again, but I think it will elminate the gestational diabetes.

I know that if I get below a certain weight, I lose my polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms. That's a long story and I don't know if you know anything about it. It's linked to insulin resistance, so I knew I would have a risk of having gestational diabetes. So, I'm thinking if I got below that certain weight and ate a low carb diet (which will reduce my risk of developing Type II in the future), that I wouldn't have GD next time around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts