Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating getting one for our next (and future) LO's. I am too far away to get a co-sleeper and they just started to get Simplicity and First Years bassinets imported here.
These are basically the ones that are available here:
Simplicity 3 in 1
http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-3%2.../dp/B000JCLJHM

Simplicity 4 in 1
http://www.toysrus.com/sm-simplicity...i-2404781.html

Simplicity 2 in 1
http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Roc.../dp/B0001UD0ZQ

The first years carry me near 5 in 1 sleep system
http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Ca.../dp/B0002X7RYM

I would love to hear any feedback that you have to help me make my decision! Thanks so much, Danni

·
Registered
433 Posts
Since our daughter was adopted we were not allowed to co sleep so we used a bassinet until she was four months old and I loved it and so did she. I was able to keep her right beside the bed and could sleep where I could quickly respond to her needs. I was sad when she moved to a crib and outgrew the bassinet.

I had one similar to the two in one.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Only two of your links worked for me but i would go with whatever one was the simpelest. Since you don't have a huge amount of room to work with anything hanging over bassinet for entertainment is just going to be a noise making, head banging, obstical to get baby past when you want to lay her down. you can always get a clip on mobile for entertaining.

and speaking of simple. be sure to notice which one will strip down and wash the easiest. your gonna be washing sheets a lot. You may also want to notice which one comes completely apart the easiest (you will wonder how all that crud got there) Ant where there is fabric it should be able easy to disassemble and throw in the wash and reassemble.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I had a bassinet with all 4.
dd1 loved it and slept in it well.
dd2 would only nap in it during the day. At night I had to hold her to sleep.
dd3 preferred the bouncey chair at first and then we used a pack n play until getting a crib in her own room.
dd4 loved it and slept in it until 4 1/2 months when she outgrew it.

It was a good investment for my family.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I had a bassinette for my girls, but hardly ever used it. The one I had was wheeled and easy to move around the apartment- I often used it in the living or dining room so I could put her down near me when I was doing stuff in that part of the house.

I used it exactly once for DD2- I thought it would keep her safe from DD1 but then DD1 tried to climb it and I was afraid the basinette would fall down from her climbing and they'd both get hurt. So I started keeping DD2 on my bed instead, figuring she was safer that way. But boy was it cute seeing a toddler reaching up and peeking into the bassinette!

When I was pg with DS, I set up a full sized crib in my bedroom. Sometimes I put him in the crib, sometimes in my bed, it depended on our moods. I didn't have to worry about "what do do with the baby when he outgrows the bassinette?"

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I had a bassinette with my son. He used it all of about three times. (He also had a crib, hich he used once.) It seemed conveiniant, I could bring it room to room, but he just did not like being in it.

I would be hesitant to use a bassinette with young children around, though, becuase it's so low to the ground. My Mother still tells the story of how, at two and a half years old, I pulled my newborn sister out of her bassinette and held her by one arm and one foot (I told her I didn't want to drop the baby) against the bassinette while screaming for help. Apparently, I thought I could play with her like a baby doll.
: My Mother also likes to end the story by telling how, a few years later, at age five, I did it again- took my newborn baby brother out of the bassinette and carried him around the house while she was in the bathtub.
:

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I had a bassinet and didn't like it. Because of the way legs were designed it wouldn't push up next to our bed, so there was about 2 feet between the bed and the bassinet that required me to sit up, and actually put one foot on the floor to get her in and out of it. That's the hight of laziness right there, folks.

We eventually side-carred the crib and took the rail off to make it open. No sitting up, and no getting out of bed. If you didn't want the openness of it and preferred the babe to have a "separate" space, you can always put the crib right up against the bed and leave the rail on but in the lowered position. Then the baby can't roll over into bed with you, and they are just as close as with a bassinet.. probably closer. That's what I did until we learned about taking the rail off. I didn't like this either because I had to LIFT her over the rail. Seriously, I'm that lazy.

We went through several arrangments before settling on what we have now (the side carred crib). I would try the arrangment that requires the least amount of money first. If you already have a crib, or are planning to use a crib after they outgrow the basinet (which DD outgrew by 4 months!) then I would try that first. You may be thankful you didn't spend the extra cash. I regret paying a 100 dollars for something I only used for a few months, when I could have used something I already had. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
We had the 3 in 1 simplicity and used it for both kids until they outgrew it, and liked it just fine for both of them. It has this little drop out section that makes it easier to get the babe in and out when they're sidecarred with it (and a mattress strap to keep it snugged up to your mattress).

We then side carred a mini crib, and then moved our bed to be next to a wall. DD spends the first part of the night in her crib, and the rest of the night with us. Works perfectly for us.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have this one
http://www.parentingclub.com/shop/ba...000P58PG6.html
It worked pretty good. My baby outgrew it really quick, but I loved the vibrate feature, it soothed him during diaper changes. My partner put it together not so correctly and I couldn't use the cosleep feature and I wasn"t going to make him reassemble it. He forgot to attach the little snap things the straps attached to. I loved the detachable cradle part. I'd bring it out in the living room for naps..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I just used the bassinet insert on my pack'n'play when they were little. Worked great, and I was able to use it longer for naps as well (till DD figured out at 18ish months that she could swing her leg over the side and try to flip out!).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
We've co-slept with all the kids. Bought and then re-sold a beautiful second-hand crib, having never had a use for it. We also have quite a small house.

But we did like using our bassinet.

We used it for day napping only (or even some alert awake periods if I was getting supper ready or something). The small size and lightweight made it perfect for moving around the living room and kitchen.

We did have one incident with our twins (only one baby in the bassinet at the time) when our 2-year-old peered in too enthusiastically from the side and tipped it over. That was the only time this happened, though, in all of our use with it with all of our kids.

I used a regular bassinet that was lent to me. But if I was buying, I might go with a moses basket that has a wooden frame you can stand it on. The extra portability of grabbing only the basket might have been nice if I wanted to scoot upstairs to the office with it, or to our basement laundry area.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
We have the Simplicity 3-in-1. We keep it side-carred to our bed. We don't ever use it for a changing station, but DS does take his naps in it and has occasionally slept in it at night when our two older kids were in bed with us.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My DD slept in a bassinet right next to my bed until she was 6 weeks old(I was too scared to co-sleep). My DS would go down for the night in a pack & play bassinet and then when he woke up for the first time that night I'd put him in bed with us, and he'd sleep there for the rest of the night.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naless View Post
Please check this cribs to make sure they are correctly assembled

There has been a recall on the Simplicity cribs.
I did check already, the recalls are for a few of their cribs, but not the bassinets! Thanks mama, danni

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
We had a basinette and used it for about six months. It was great because it's portable, so during the day we brought it downstairs for when Gage wanted to lounge around and laugh at the little animals hanging from the top.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I used a bassinet our inlaws had found at a garage sale, it was great because a pillowcase fit over the mattress. At the time I was totally unaware of mothering or AP parenting and didn't contemplate cosleeping, but we pushed the bassinet right next to the bed, and I could just reach my hand in to sooth DS, I thought it was great. But next time we'll just cosleep!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qestia View Post
...it was great because a pillowcase fit over the mattress...
That's what we used for bassinette sheets too -- so easy!
We had this one and will use it with our next baby too. I loved the ease of having him right next to me for nighttime feedings when he was tiny, and wasn't comfortable cosleeping, so a bassinette was the perfect solution for us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.