Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a 7 year old, a 4 year old, and a 16 year old in my house and most want to be at the birth. ;)  The teenager sort of wants to, but thinks she'll be too nervous about the blood. My eldest daughter (7 now) was 3 when her brother was born and she ADORED being there, so I'm actually really excited to have an audience. :lol:</p>
<p>We just received the infamous Cbirth UC dvd (30+ unassisted births, all home videos) back from a friend; I loaned this thing out to a million people between my last birth and this one! I put it on this evening for the first time and my daughter was HOOKED! We just spent about 35 minutes watching four beautiful UCs and she was a million questions a minute, "Was that vernix?", "I saw meconium!", "Do all babies have meconium right away?", "That baby was so happy it didn't even have to cry!", "Do all waterbirth babies not cry?", "Will you have this baby in the water, too?", "When I was born, did my waters go everywhere?", "Does it make a pop sound when the bag breaks?" etc etc. When we finally dragged her away to go to bed she made us swear we wouldn't watch another minute until she got home from school tomorrow. She used to watch this DVD every morning when I was in late pregnancy with her brother, but she doesn't remember.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The nicest thing? As we had it on TV, the teenager sneaked into the back of the room and very quietly pulled up a chair to watch. She pretended like she wasn't paying attention but she was completely hooked. ;)</p>
<p>We used to watch a lot of YouTube videos, too - it was a GREAT resource for finding unhindered, peaceful births to show kids as well as animal births to help them realize how normal the process is. It's a GREAT teaching aid for young kids who might be nervous about the loud noises, blood or poop and such.</p>

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
<p>DH and I were just discussing this the other day. My oldest ds will be 4.5 when babe is due. It wouldn't bother me to have him there but I guess we'll leave it up to him. Ds2 will only be 2.75 and dd will be 19 months so I'm not sure they would be able to understand that everything is ok.</p>

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
<p>I had one of my UC's put on one of those, not sure if Taegan's is on that one or not. Depending on my kids desire they will be there or not unless I feel a desire to be alone w/ just dh. We have had many births so not much prepping needed :)</p>

·
Registered
180 Posts
<p>I'm definitely preparing both of my daughters to be there. I suspect that DD2 is a budding midwife. She loves childbirth and devours every morsel of information she can gather. Her most frequent game is pretending giving birth to my niece.They both love childbirth videos on youtube and our family recently piled into our bed and watched Orgasmic Birth together on the laptop. Both girls loved it. My good friend will be there just for the girls when I'm in labor, so they're free to do what they want, but I really think they'll both want to be there. They're such natural caretakers, very calm and present children when they're around people who are sick or upset. Plus, I feel like the 3 of us are such a team, I can hardly imagine them not being there.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Whenever I think of this birth, the image that immediately pops into my head is of me in the bathtub birthing with just my daughters with me. DF is a bartender, so I guess this scenario is a possibility. My last birth went really quickly. I certainly wouldn't plan it that way! But there is a certain peace that I have with that image.</p>

·
Registered
434 Posts
<p>I'm planning for my daughter to be with us (she'll be 3.5 then) but am leaving myself open to the possibility of changing my mind. My labor with her was very intense, and I wouldn't have felt comfortable having a young child watch me then, but assuming this one goes much more smoothly, and knowing what I know now, I can definitely see her there with me. I'll have my mother there too, and possibly a friend, so if things get heavy during transition and I need some focus or if she gets upset, someone can take her for a walk or go watch a movie or something. I'm planning to show her some birth videos ahead of time for sure, but she is very sensitive. We'll just see how this labor & birth go and see how it all works out! </p>

·
Registered
717 Posts
<p>Yeah, we are talking about having a close friend come and be with our 2 year 4 month old DD (at that point).  We are working slowly on the concept of "there's a baby in there."  I'm not pushing it until we can actually feel or see movement outside the tummy.  We also would probably watch several birth videos, and then I would just be prepared that maybe Clara won't want to or won't be ready to be there and my friend could take her out.  I also am aware that *I* can't be distracted from my job of birthing to be a mother to my toddler.  But we are still talking.  We think it would be much less traumatic to have her be there and SEE where her brother or sister is coming from than to come home and find a strange baby has taken over her mother's arms, lap, breast, etc.  But I know millions cope with that every day, so I don't want to make too much of it.  But yes, it would be awesome to have her there and okay with it.</p>

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
<p>I am hoping DS will want to be there - he will be a few months shy of 4yo and seems very interested in the baby right now.  He is a vey sensitive, loving child and I think it could really go either way. I am going to start showing him birth videos soon but am waiting until he can hear the baby's heartbeat or feel movement so that he makes the connection about the thing in my belly that needs to come out!!   He was 22 months old when DD was born at home and he was there for that - but the only thing he was interested in was the fishy pool we had set up in the house, lol!!  He does not remember anything about that day.  DD will be 23 months when the new baby comes and I will definitely have a support person for her, but we will play it by ear.  I am truly hoping for a family experience - I just think it would be so wonderful to bring a baby into the world with as much love in the room as possible!</p>

·
Registered
496 Posts
<p>I am pretty sure my boys 11 and 4 or almost 4 at the estimated arrival of the baby will be present. I am not sure my older son will actually be ''in the room'' (birthing center) there is a ''living room'' with a tv and and a wii where he wants to hang out until the baby is out. (his words) I am still trying to prepare him somewhat incase his curiosity peaks. My 3 y/o is more interested than I had expected for a 3 y/o that is lol. I can totally see him hanging out with his brother or with us. Time will tell. My kids are one of the many reasons we've chose the birthing center. The local hospital has all kinds of ''visiting rules'' among many other turn offs....</p>

·
Registered
90 Posts
<p>well, when I first told my kids that we were planning a homebirth they were horrified. But, after talking to them my dd, (who will be 14) seems like she wants to be there and even said she would like to cut the cord. My ods (who will be 11) really doesn't think he wants to be there. My 4 year old we will have to see. He didn't have a problem with the idea of homebirth but I'm sure at that age it will be somewhat upsetting to see mommy in labor. He will be there as he wishes. I need to start preparing all of them though. I'm pretty excited to share it with them.</p>

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I am planning to have my DS be there for our homebirth. He will be almost 4 by then. Actually, I am considering giving him a camera and having him be the photographer. He loves taking pictures and is quite good at it, and it will give him something to do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
<p>I love the way the daughter is rubbing the mom's shoulders in this homebirth video...</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5-jx_vcp4&feature=BF&list=FLYP6QRLtq_zg&index=3" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5-jx_vcp4&feature=BF&list=FLYP6QRLtq_zg&index=3</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think I'll start a thread for favorite birth videos online. :)</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts