Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed with otosclerosis today & it looks like the only treatment is surgery. I went to the ENT because I've been having tinnitus & progressive hearing loss in one ear as well as a feeling of fullness. Well, fullness it ain't! Otosclerosis is when the inner ear bones start to stiffen (or possibly a bone overgrowth?) causing decreased vibration & hearing loss.<br><br>
The only other option is a hearing aid but it seems my condition is pretty advanced & surgery is recommended. Anyone else have/had this??

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't have this but I'm an audiologist so I've seen lots of pre-op and post-op patients. In many cases the surgery can be very successful, although rarely have I seen it return hearing to completely normal. I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion from another ENT if you're at all hesitant about having surgery.<br><br>
I also know that in many cases hearing aid fittings can help with hearing loss but also can provide some relief of tinnitus. A lot of times that 'fullness' you speak of is due to the nature of low-frequency hearing losses. Sometimes they can be perceived as having a full feeling or pressure in the ear.<br><br>
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts