Mothering Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can anyone identify these wild flowers? I'm in the upper midwest, zone 5. These flowers crop up in my garden in late summer. They have pointy succulent leaves. Even though the flowers look different, I think they are the same species.
EarthRootsStarSoul - No idea what the flowers are called, but, we did have a pot of them on our front step two years ago. Bought them at the garden centre, in one of those hanging baskets. They grew great whatever they were.

Latest garden update - http://theplaceunderthepine.blogspot.ca/2014/09/garden-2014-update-5-and-more.html

The highlight is definitely these tomotoes - look at that colour!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would love to see some photos of how things are progressing at your house! My stuff is still puny. It's only been about 10 days since it was still 35 degrees at night here. We've been getting a lot of rain and things are blooming. Veggies....not so much here yet.

Do any of you beautiful mama's know where to get NON - GMO seeds or starters? Maybe even an online source? :namaste:blowkiss:Rainbow:goorg:sunshine:broc:carrot

·
Registered
198 Posts
I second the Baker Creek Seeds; been getting all my seeds from them for the last three years.

Not sure if this thread is still going, but... Some of the garden this year. I was living dangerously and planting things way early, some under covers so they had their own miniature greenhouse, but it's finally past our last frost date now!
Spinach and lettuce are good, peas survived two snows and multiple freezes. We're trying corn for the first year. I had given up on the onions so wasn't even weeding that spot and, surprise! there they are. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
It probably isn't as large as some of you ladies have, but it's twice as big as it was last year & pretty much entirely my project. Husband drove in some fence posts so I could have tomato stakes, DS( hacked down some saplings I sharpened & also used for stakes. I still need 2 more. 4 kinds of tomatoes. 2 kinds of beans. Some melons. 2 kinds of pumpkins. Late planted garlic. He also bought me 2 specialized Cobra tools at the Mother Earth News fair this past spring. Weedings fun! Half of the main area has gone to strawberries & herbs. The empty spots are harvested garlic awaiting brassicas next week, Lord willing. The corn is popcorn, for our winter snacks. Husband does the fencing & said I could double it again, he helped me walk out where the new fence line will be & I started adding the compost from this weeks muckings for next springs planting. My garden always makes me smile.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How did I miss this!! Your garden looks awesome Voondrop!

It's nice to have it near the house so you can tend it easily.

My entire garden space is about half of yours, including the herbs in my flower garden, and I think we get a generous amount for 2-3 people, so you should have plenty of space to grow for a family.

If you do companion planting it keeps the weeds down. Squash & beans is the most common - squash trails out of the patch while beans climb up poles above the patch. Also basil & tomatoes, each providing shade for the other at times.

Nice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
No photos here. After years of sustainable permaculture inspired gardening I win an apartment. I have a few kitchen herbs and a small aquaponics tanks to keep us from going crazy in the city. The value of dirt really rings true when you have none. Way to go mamas I Hav enjoyed looking at all the pics in this. Thread.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.