Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,079 Posts
The idea of CIO makes me very, very upset. Whether it's working or not is not the point at all.

I mean, in what other instance can we refuse to be close to a human being who can't help themselves?

... if we were the caregivers of an elderly person, for how long can we let them cry until we respond? One hour? probably not. But 10 min would be ok, right?

... if we were the caregivers of a disabled person, letting them cry for a specific period of time would be ok, assuming that they are fed and have no physical needs, right?

WRONG! But we can obviously do it to babies, because they aren't persons, are they. I mean, as long as it "works" we can do anything to them.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post

I have some CIO friends. I respond with something like "that doesn't work for us." Anything with too much elaboration- will start a heated debate where someone is going to feel their sleep style is being judged. If that's an argument you want to have, go for it, but just to move the conversation along, be brief and talk only about yourself, answer calmly and confidently.
yeahthat.gif

I also used to say: CIO is not an option for us.

Thankfully in our community people don't really practice CIO, so I haven't got many questions about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.