Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br>
I was wondering if anyone else out there had any breastfeeding problems and was forced to just pump their milk? My son is 11 months now and I would love to continue breastfeeding but am getting a bit worn down from all the pumping. Anyone have any success getting them back on the breast? Would love to chat to the pumping mamas out there!<br>
Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
i'm so sorry. i had to exclusively pump for several months...and it's one of the most difficult things ever. you have all the difficulties of nursing thrown in with all the hardships of bottles...<br><br>
breast milk is supposed to be EASIER, darn it!<br><br>
not to mention, the grief. looking at that little one and not being able to nurse...just HURTS. and nobody understands why. they look at you and say, "well, at least you can still pump, right? that's not so bad..."<br><br>
but it IS. it feels like your body has let them down, like there's been a failure. like...try as you might to do what's best, SOMETHING gets in the way.<br><br>
and when they beg...and you must turn away...it's torture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes loriforeman you are so right!!! I hate that I can't have my son on the breast people don't get that it's so much more than food. I remember being in a mommy and me yoga class one day and all of a sudden I looked up and every mom was breastfeeding ( which of course is so awesome!!) but was still so hard on me I started crying and had to leave...<br>
Between bottles and pump time and the added stress of do I have enough milk I feel like I am going insane...<br>
But I feel much better hearing from you!<br>
Did you get your child back on? How old and how?

·
Registered
652 Posts
it's amazing how people can, while trying to make you feel BETTER, make it oh, so much worse. i'm not an emotional person, but it definitely slapped me. ENDLESS pumping, endless bottles...no sleep. 21 hours of school. three other kids. gah, it was a nightmare.<br><br>
always second-guessing...wondering what i could have done differently, could i have changed anything.<br><br><br>
my daughter has moderate-severe dysphagia.<br><br>
she was seven months old when we into children's hospital for an mri...and she had a reaction to the sedation meds, and then the flu. we were lying there...and she couldn't suck the thickened fluids, nor swallow. she began to dehydrate.<br><br>
at this time, they consulted with me, and the determination was made that, while aspiration is harmful to the lungs and can cause scarring and pneumonia, aspiration of BREAST milk is much better tolerated, because of the unique nature of the milk...and the antibodies present.<br><br>
i was allowed to nurse her until her health improved, and then went back to exclusive pumping. when she completely stopped gaining weight, i was allowed to half nurse/half pump. this became a cycle...a weird balance of just enough to give her the benefits while not too much to affect her health.<br><br>
she's four-and-a-half, now...and we just weaned about two months ago. she's up to 32 pounds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had to pump for my son. BFing did not work for us. I knew pumping was what was best for him, but I was miserable doing it. The worst, for me, was when I would be pumping and he would want to be held. If my husband was home, then it would go OK, but he works 24 hour shifts, and wasn't always home with us. When I started having to supplement with formula, I was crying every time I made a bottle<br><br>
I ended up only doing it until Christopher was 10 weeks. For me personally, I would rather have him happy and formula fed, than miserable and breastfed. Knowing what I know now, I'll try breastfeeding again when we have another baby, with a lot more help and support.<br><br>
All of the moms that have been able to pump for so long, good for you!<br><br>
Jen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts