Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any mama's out there healed their child without antibiotics? I am currently giving her Sweet Echinacea by herbs for kids and also started her on an allergy relief medicine by NatraBio for post nasal drip, she really doesn't have a cough nor did I think she had a runny nose unless she started crying like at the dr's office with the dr. So he said she had post nasal drip and needed an antihistimine so I put her on the allergy relief med. and also putting ear oil from turtle island in her ears three times a day it has Fresh St. John's wort flower, fresh garlic clove, olive oil, extract of fresh mullein flower in it so sounds like some good stuff! Also giving her Dinosaurs baby bifidactyl it has b. infantis, L. Acidophilus, NutraFlora FOS, Whole Rice Concentrate, Spirulina, and B. Bifidum in it. It's a powder and I mix it with stoneyfield French Vanilla yogurt. Anything else to cure this acute ear infection without the use of Omnicef.

Thanks in Advance!

· Premium Member
11,488 Posts
For me, the big thing was massaging around DS's ears, to physically encourage drainage. Long strokes in front of the ears, all the way down to the collarbone, and strokes behind the ears, from the top all the way down to the collarbone. We went to our DO the next day, he wasn't in pain anymore but his ears still looked bad, and she did more structural work to help improve the drainage further.

For us, removing dairy is important (along with our other allergens) you may want to remove that while you're trying to heal.

· Registered
217 Posts
my daughter had a really bad ear infection when she was little and I used colostrum capsules.. I'd empty out the powder, mix with warm water and put drops in infected ear... I also used an onion cut in half with a warm wet wash cloth placed over the cut-side placed over infected ear to reduce inflammation and when we went back to the doctor in 5 days, he said it was completely cleared up!

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Yes, twice for my dd before we removed her intolerances. Ear infections usually heal on their own w/o treatment in few days, 3 for my dd but boy was she miserable during those 3 days. There are some kids who have more persistant ear problems - like fluid buildup that makes them more likely to get an infection -but this is usually a food intolerance issues, especially dairy, or a structural issue that can be treated with chiro or cranial sacral work.

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know she has had this for over 2 weeks more like 3 now but no pain for her but she ran a really high temp for one night starting at about 10 pm of course the later the better always lol, anyways then all day the next day up til about probably 2 am. and then completely all fever gone! It's like puff all gone other than the fever making her feel miserable she has not complained of ears hurting at all! So it's like we could wait and try this because she is in no pain. Just under alot of pressure with dh because I took her to dr and got rx filled only to satisfy him but I am not giving it to her I am still doing it my way.
if any of your hubbies are not on board with the more natural approach you all know what I mean.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, everone can keep them coming! You know I can't fail because now it is a battle if the natural approach even works according to dh.
she is 3 yrs. old and I have never had to put anything in her body that wasn't natural including vaxcines!
Proud to be able to say that too! All of you probably know what I am talking about.

· Premium Member
9,239 Posts
A two or three week ear infection would be extremely concerning and not acute. Most acute ear infections will clear up (regardless of what is or isn't done) in 48 to 72 hours. There may be residual fluid but the infection/fever/pain will be gone. What I'm not at all sure of is whether your daughter has an infection. One day of fever and no pain is not consistent with a continuing ear infection. It might, though, be consistent with an acute ear infection that resolved in 24 hours and there is fluid left. If it's just fluid (no infection) then I'd do chiropractic or cranial sacral. A good practitioner will be able to show you massage to help drain the ears. If she's got an ongoing actual infection for weeks you need the antibiotic because her body should have kicked it and you increase risk for severe complications waiting among other things. But I don't think, reading, that's the case here.

Yes. One of my kids recovered from a bacterial Hib infection in under 48 hours w/out antibiotics. Research suggests 48 to 72 hours is an appropriate wait time imo.

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I guess acute was the wrong wording used here (sorry). She really never even complained of her ears hurting just high fever all of a sudden. sbgrace you are so right! I took her today with me since I had a post opt appointment hence different dr., but he is my ENT dr. and he looked at her ears for me and said she was running 105.7 on Sat??? I said yes and he asked what was prescribed to her? I told him Omnicef (but of course didn't tell him that I have not given her any)
and he said well they look good now only a little fluid in her left ear but they look good other than that! Hmmm so guess she never needed that antibiotic to start with.
Now I will be taking her to the chiro we always do this I don't know why I haven't already thought of it other than times are tough right now and deductible not met but it must be done so glad it was mentioned here!
Will be taking her tommorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.