Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K12 is who runs this school. If you don't mind what were the problems with them? I know K isn't required but I feel my dd really needs all the extra help she can get. She will not be able to go to K do to they only transport the kids 1 way. I personally would prefer to homeschool all the way but at this point that won't work. Hopefully in a year or two.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Well, we tend to have a more Waldorf-inpsired philosophy of education, so I really don't quite know what I was thinking.
--The kindergarten is extremely academic.
--My daughter tested out of kindergarten math and was doing first grade math, and was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work she was expected to do each day.
--The only curriculum that has a teacher book in hardcopy was the phonics, so the computer was on all stinking day. I hated that.
--The reading was OK, but was solely phonics based, and when I asked, I was told it would always be that way. There was no attempt to work in things like word families, context and picture clues, etc in decoding. The phonics readers were also full of kids getting shots and then being given gum by the doc. I know that sounds silly, but on top of everything else, it was annoying.
--The social studies was very much into "token multiculturalism"--all people from Mexico wear sombreros, stuff like that. I feel like if you're going to try to get to know another culture, you need more than a day or two to really dig into it, but there just wasn't time.
--The music curriculum seemed unnecesary to me, but I'm certified to teach music k-12 so it could have just been my ego getting in the way, LOL!
--The art curriculum was just heavy and there wasn't a lot of joy in it for us.
--You move through the curriculum based on assessments. When you pass an assessment, you move to the next thing. But it was just getting annoying. One example that sticks out is that in kindergarten, they had to be able to find the Amazon River on a map. Why? Who knows. So I would say, "Hey, Katie Grace? See that blue line? That's the Amazon River. Now, where's the Amazon River?" and she would look at me like I was insane and point to it. And I realized that it was becoming more about jumping through hoops than learning.
--There was so much to do that there was no time for field trips, seasonal crafts, celebrations, things like that.

Hopefully, someone will be able to jump on with some positives to balance out our experiences.

ETA: Forgot one more thing. Lots of trees die for this curriculum. If you print out the lessons, you will use a ton of paper each week.Add to this the (often meaningless) worksheets, and if you have any eco-guilt at all it will kick right in.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
We will be using a virtual charter when my son turns 6 for K.
In Oregon we have Connections Academy. It uses Calvert & Prentice Hall.
We use Calvert now for PK and my son seems to really enjoy it and has done very well. But, most the time we learn through living and playing.
We think it will work great for him and us. Plus, we will add alot of trips to the zoo, museum's, OMSI, hikes, beach and all that fun stuff!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
537 Posts
In Colorado, we have COVA (CO Virtual Academy), which uses the K12 curriculum, and also Connections Academy (see PP) available. I looked into K12 and also found that it was way too much computer time for my kindergartners. I have a HSing friend who uses Connections Academy and really likes it. Rather than requiring that the child be on the computer, the parent can print off the assignments and enter them for the child. She really likes the structure, as she also works as a photographer and has to plan her days carefully. I won't use either of these options, as we are also coming from a more Waldorf-like background. But I think they can work great for many HSers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.