Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean without dh or other birthing partner present.

Next Thursday my dh is going to Germany/Switzerland for 5 days (comes back Monday evening). I will be 35 weeks 3 days pg at that stage. The chances that I will go into labour while he is gone are not very high (I don't have a history of preterm labour and have no signs of going early this time either), but obviously we need to put a contingency plan in place.

Several people here have offered to help out with ds, which is really my main concern. The problem is that I don't have anyone to come with me to the hospital. We have only just moved here and I don't any close friends yet. All the people I know have small children and can't just drop everything to come with me. Also, I don't know anyone well enough to feel that I really want them to be there in the labour room with me.

Am I crazy for considering delivering on my own, if the inevitable does happen and I end up going into labour while dh is gone?

A few facts:

* I have slow labours - last time it took 42 hours from first contraction to birth
* The hospital is 5 min away by taxi
* DH is flying with a major airline that has several flights a day and he could probably make it back in about 24 hours
* The hospital normally provides a midwife and a nurse to each patient, so I would never really be entirely on my own
* The Swedish hospital system is based on low intervention and is totally pro-beastfeeding etc., so the need for an 'advocate' is not as great as elsewhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I saw this thread and was just going to ask you if you were worried!

If I could, I'd come with you!

That said, it sounds like you would have the support that you would need from the hospital staff. If you were in America, I'd tell you to find someone quick, but it sounds like the hospital has it covered.

Just remember that every pregnancy and labor is different, and just because you were really slow the first time, doesn't mean you will be really slow the second time. My mom went "overdue" with me (two whopping days, but at that time, they were worried) and was in labor for over 24 hours. She was six weeks early with my sister and had her in all of about four hours. Her water broke at home and she had no time to get an epi because she went so fast.

Again, if I were in your situation, I wouldn't worry about delivering "alone." I would be more worried about someone taking my older child, and it sounds like you have that covered.

I know from the other board, that you are feeling kinda wierd this time around and that is probably adding to your anxiety.

Good luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Raina.

I'm actually okay with the idea of labouring alone. Mostly I just want to make sure my ds is alright and safe.

I now have a plan A and plan B in place for him, but I have not made any arrangements for anyone to accompany me to the hospital.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts