Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is likely a long shot.<br>
But it appears, from the imigration websites I have looked into, that you can not immigrate to canada without a spouse, or a skilled trade in demand.<br><br><br>
is there anyone here who just wanted to move out of America, and did it succcessfully?<br><br>
I think we in the US are jaded, as pretty much anyone can move here, but its seemingly impossible for us to move to another country.<br>
I just want to know if there is a light at the end of the tunnel, or if we should give up considering it.<br><br>
Thanks for any help you have!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
We did! Just arrived in Canada in July.<br>
My husband is French/German, and I am French/American. It IS possible to immigrate to Canada without a job offer or a spouse sponsor. It takes a bit longer, but it's totally possible.<br>
First of all, what are the skills possessed by you and your S.O.? It could be that you have skills in demand by a specific province. You can apply for immigration through a specific province (unless you're a nurse, this wouldn't be a great way to get into BC or Ontario - but could really work for Alberta, Manitoba, Sask., or some of the Maritimes). If you really have your heart set on BC, you could try North BC, where they're hard pressed to find people to fill hotel/restaurant positions much less other things.<br>
If you're skills are NOT in demand (ours were NOT), then you can go through the application process to be a permanent resident from scratch. I won't lie to you and tell you it was easy and inexpensive, but it wasn't hard after we got all our papers together.<br>
Just time consuming, and you need to have patience. Waits of 12-18 months are totally normal.<br>
BUT, once you have your Canadian immigrant visa for permanent residency, it's worth it. You can even change Provinces if you want (except Quebec, which is a bit special and selects its own immigrants (usually French speaking).<br>
PM me if you want more details, or have any questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts