Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had my first appointment yet, I have to have a tour at the birthing center first and they don't set up appointments until 8-10 weeks.

So I have taken 4 hpt and they are all positive so going off of that and the last time I had a cycle I would guess I was about 6 weeks, maybe.

I am not sleeping, slightly worn out, my breasts really hurt, and well my tummy is already round b/c i have some fluff but I put on a pair of jeans the other day and they were tight.

I kinda feel like it is not real, or for some reason that I may loose the baby. I wonder if it is b/c I haven't been to the dr yet.

anyway...wondering if I was the only one who hadn't been to the dr yet.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't go until July 3rd, by which time I'll be 7w3d. I feel the same way as you. I only have a few symptoms (breasts sore, tired, dizzy) , and it doesn't seem real yet. I'm really worried about miscarriage, too. It is going to be a long 2 weeks for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I haven't had an appointment with the midwives yet. It's next Tuesday. I do know what you mean about it feeling unreal. I want to go out and buy more tests sometimes. I took 4 tests at home and 1 at a clinic so I should be convinced. Be sticky, baby!!!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by birthmommom View Post
I have not had my first appointment yet, I have to have a tour at the birthing center first and they don't set up appointments until 8-10 weeks.

So I have taken 4 hpt and they are all positive so going off of that and the last time I had a cycle I would guess I was about 6 weeks, maybe.

I am not sleeping, slightly worn out, my breasts really hurt, and well my tummy is already round b/c i have some fluff but I put on a pair of jeans the other day and they were tight.

I kinda feel like it is not real, or for some reason that I may loose the baby. I wonder if it is b/c I haven't been to the dr yet.

anyway...wondering if I was the only one who hadn't been to the dr yet.
I think probably *most* of the mamas here haven't been yet. It's pretty normal for doctors not to see pregnant women until 8 weeks or so because there's not much to do until then, except say "Yes, you're pregnant, take vitamins, don't drink" or what have you. When I was pregnant earlier this year I couldn't get in there until 9 weeks... thought I was going to go nuts!

This time around, I went in for some blood work yesterday and will again tomorrow b/c of just coming off of a previous miscarriage, but that's a pretty extenuating circumstance... I think otherwise I wouldn't be seeing them for another month!

·
Registered
260 Posts
My doctor just got back from a vacation, so I couldn't get an appointment until July 10 - I'll be 10w6d by then! But I might be going with a CNM this time around ... haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I haven't even started looking into the midwives in the area yet,. I'm pretty sure I want a UP but every now and then I get cold feet and start feeling irresponsible or worrying that others will judge me as irresponsible. I'm only at six weeks, so it would be a bit early even if I wanted an Assisted birth.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
ugh, i really wish i HADN'T gone.

i went to see my GP yesterday just to get betas. i usually really like the guy (he actually reminds me of george mcfly from back to the future). he's very kind and listens and spends a lot of time with his patients. he's always open to alternative treatments, etc.

but the man actually said to me, "well, you're not really pregnant until we can see a picture so i can't say congratulations." it was so weird. all the nurses there know how long we've been trying and they were so excited for me, but it's like he was trying to protect me or something, just in case this doesn't stick. he was just so nonchalant and kinda cold. he worked REALLY hard to keep me from enjoying the idea that i was pregnant.

and he wasn't going to call me with my beta results until monday! he said the numbers don't matter until they double. i said, "actually, it matters a lot to me. it means i'm pregnant. please call me with the hcg result as soon as you get it."

it was just really weird and uncomfortable. i'm really glad he won't be my caregiver beyond this point.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I've had my blood drawn to check beta level and thyroid, but haven't seen the doctor or had an appointment yet. I *might* be going to my ultrasound next week, or I might wait until the beginning of July. (gas prices are so high that its killing me to travel back and forth)

Either way, no appointment yet for me.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Nope, not yet. I called my homebirth midwife when I got the positive pregnancy test and left her a message but haven't heard back from her yet. I called again this morning but was told that she's at a birth. Hopefully I'll hear from her soon- I don't want her to fill up for the month of February just yet!- and all will be well. I still don't know if she'll want to see me right away though- it's still so early!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Rachel! What a horrible thing for the doc to do!

I have my first midwife appointment on Monday - usually they start at 8 weeks (to get history, get to know you/get reaquainted, etc.) and I'll be about 7.5 weeks. I'd have waited until later in the week, but I wanted to see one of the midwives that attended C's homebirth instead of one of the new midwives to the practice. I'll actually be going there on Sunday as well, because their annual summer get-together / farewell party for one of the midwives is Sunday.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I've had my blood drawn to check beta level and thyroid, but haven't seen the doctor or had an appointment yet. I *might* be going to my ultrasound next week, or I might wait until the beginning of July. (gas prices are so high that its killing me to travel back and forth)

This is me as well. We're going to have to schedule things based on when I can afford to go.
I'm going to see if the doc's willing to accomodate me, spreading appointments out a bit more than might be typical because we seriously can't afford the drive all the time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just went and did the urine test at the dr.'s office today because I have to have pregnancy confirmation and due date from my dr for my application for Medicaid. I really really hope we qualify, otherwise we went through this hassle for nothing and we'll have to pay out of pocket for it for about 4 years or barter. I am really impatient about hearing whether we are going to get help or not...
: Soooo not the patient type...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have my first appointment next week - 9 weeks by LMP/8 weeks by my chart. I'm really sure I have nothing to worry about, but I'm looking forward to getting the U/S done so I can see the heartbeat and really start to enjoy the pregnancy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm 4 wks 3 days right now and haven't been in yet, but I do have an appointment for Tuesday with a mid-wife who's been recommended to me. They told me they can't do anything except a blood test. I'm such a worrier, though, and so I'm fretting about everything. I think seeing someone will help put my mind at ease.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Rachel. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Nature, want me to tell you how much WE pay for gas?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloominmamas View Post
I just went and did the urine test at the dr.'s office today because I have to have pregnancy confirmation and due date from my dr for my application for Medicaid. I really really hope we qualify, otherwise we went through this hassle for nothing and we'll have to pay out of pocket for it for about 4 years or barter. I am really impatient about hearing whether we are going to get help or not...
: Soooo not the patient type...
I have to do the same thing. My last pregnancy I went to the clinic and they said all they do is a urine test and run some normal early pregnancy blood work. I have to get Medicaid to go the our local Birth Center. Otherwise I will be stuck with the local OB group that is the only place the clinic (Indian Health Services) will send women to. Of course they're the ones who gave me the cesarean last time and I won't go there if it's the last place on earth. If I don't get Medicaid I guess we'll be paying out of pocket for the birth center or a home birth!

So needless to say at almost 6 weeks I haven't been yet, but will probably go next week for confirmation. If I didn't have to do this I'm sure I wouldn't go in until 10 weeks.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Nature, want me to tell you how much WE pay for gas?

I don't pay anything for it, but unfortunately, I will probably have to park my bike and come up with $3.65 a gallon until the baby's at least six months old, maybe a whole year. The US is not the most bicycle friendly place in the world.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The gas prices are killer and will be a major expense for me this pregnancy - my midwives' office is about 1 hour 15 minutes away, and that's if I leave from home. More often than not I'll probably end up driving the 40 minutes to my parents' house where my Dad and my boys will have a "Boys' Day" while my Mom, dd and I have a "Girls' Day" going to my midwife appointment and then out to lunch and to the beach. Maybe I can convince my Mom to take her car!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.