Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I just posted <a href="http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1282729/full-term-loss-mamas-i-need-your-words">another thread</a> on here, but it made me wonder if I should ask for people's opinions on my bloodwork results. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was found to be hetero for the MTHFR gene mutation (hetero means i've just got one copy of it).  It was on C677T.  From the research I've done, it seemed that it's thought that hetero folks don't have problems.  My doctor called my bloodwork results "normal" and I had to look up the mutation on my own to find any information.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you've been diagnosed with the hetero version (especially if it was C677T like mine), did your doctor feel it was normal? Any need for concern around pregnancy/conception? Was your next pregnancy treated any differently? And did you have any trouble conceiving?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm looking into this again (my loss was back in January) because I haven't been able to get pregnant again. I'm trying to leave no stone unturned in figuring out what is wrong here. My main worry is that the reason I'm not conceiving again is somehow related to my daughter's death. No cause was ever found for her loss.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd love anyone's thoughts on this.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so much.</p>

·
Registered
807 Posts
<p><a href="http://www.genes-4u.com/genes/g4_028.htm" target="_blank">http://www.genes-4u.com/genes/g4_028.htm</a></p>
<p>I was diagnosed with hetero MTHFR A after my third miscarriage in March 2009. All of the physicians I saw said it is a "relatively" common mutation and did not cause my losses. I do not believe that is true. I did take Zervalx, a prescription folate for MTHFR, during my pregnancy with Edelweiss. I also took heparin injections and baby aspirin until 36 weeks. I don't know if any or all of it made the difference but I am immensely grateful that I had the opportunity to use empiric therapy. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I understand that the MTHFR mutation impacts my body's ability to synthesize folate. Three of my children have a deep sacral dimple and I wonder if that is an ever-so-mild neural tube defect marker. I have a significant family history of heart disease and fatal heart attacks in young people and that makes me think there is a definite link between homocysteine levels, MTHFR and heart disease. I have the deep grooves in my fingernails consistent with B vitamin deficiencies despite a healthy diet and B vitamin supplementation.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ACOG is very slow to recognize causes of pregnancy loss. I think Factor V Leiden was just added to the list several years ago. It will not surprise me at all to see MTHFR variants A and C added to the list of known causes of loss in the next decade. It is shameful that no more money and research is dedicated to finding out why women lose their babies.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am so sorry your baby is not with you. I hope you conceive your rainbow baby very soon. Sending you gentle hugs....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Amy</p>

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
<p>I'm not sure what kind of MTHFR I have but I also took folic acid and a low dose aspirin everyday of my pregnancies after losing a full term baby. My dr recommended that I continue to take them even though I do not plan on getting pg again, so I do.</p>

·
Registered
190 Posts
<p>I have the same mutation.  I see a Hematologist because I know have 4 losses and he treats me during pregnancy.  I also have 2 beautiful children, between the losses....both preterm labor.  </p>
<p>The rest of my bloodwork is within range, so to speak.  My dr says the mutation ALONE does not indicate need for any additional treatment (I currently take baby aspirin and 2mg folic acid in addition to prenatal)...BUT he did say that based on my HISTORY (and history of DVT in my mom), that during next pregnancy he would like to err on side of caution and we will do Lovenox injections as well.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Don't know if that helps AT ALL, but wanted to chime in.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>(not sure about whether or not it has anything to do with conceiving issues.  It doesn't seem to have affected me there as I get pregnant very easily, but have so many losses)  :(</p>

·
Registered
900 Posts
<p>I had multiple miscarriages  and two very healthy little ones. I end up taking mega dosis of folic acid (4000 mcg) total and B complex plus the pre-natals vits. I denied to take Heparin and baby aspirin.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts