Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't for me, it's for a coworker. She has a baby girl waiting for her in Guatemala. Paperwork is done, translated, and sitting on a bueurocrat's desk. Apparently the one guy in the whole country who can sign off on adoptions is purposely dragging his feet and making these families wait MONTHS. They got their referral a few days after the baby was born, which was in April, and now their agency is saying the probably won't be able to bring her home until December. They also say it's all the agencies and adoptions working out of Guatemala, not just theirs. Is anyone else going through this or have any idea what this is all about? I feel so bad for my friend, they've already named her and get updated pictures every couple of weeks, and they're in agony knowing that ONE PERSON is keeping them from their baby girl.
:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hey there, I lurk on the Guatemala yahoo board for research purposes (thinking of Guat for #3) and you can tell your co-worker that yes, it is in fact ALL agencies that are having this problem. However, the guy who is in charge of this is slowly but surely getting his a** in gear because a bunch of families (with the Guatamalan government's blessing) filed a lawsuit against him. PGN (the name of the office her file is stuck in) is starting to move, so hopefully her agency is giving her an outside timeline and she will bring her precious baby girl home sooner!

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Yes that sounds like a reasonable time frame for Guatemala. They are going through many changes right now so average pick up time is at least 8 months. I know it stinks, but there will be many more delays and things out of their control. Best of luck to them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My sister just went through it. It sounds like she is in the very last step. THey call this step the "black hole" because it could take anywhere from 7 days to 6 weeks to finish. With my sister it took them about 6 weeks after entering the "black hole." They recieved their child when he was 7 months old.

Additionally right after their adoption they recieved this email:

Good afternoon.

In the last Issue update, there was mention of the fact that the PGN (Attorney General's office in Guatemala) has been experiencing some changes. Since this is a change that may affect many families, we want you to definitely be aware of it.

There is a new director in charge of adoptions, Lic. Victor Hugo Barrios Barahona. At this time, we are unsure how the changes may affect the PGN process for families in the future though his concern is that the process be completely legal. Lic. Barrios wants the files are to be reviewed completely the first time submitted and a list of objections made which is similar to what has been happening in most current cases.

Due to the change in the director and also some of the reviewers have been removed and replaced as well, the PGN process has been going slower and families are experiencing delays.

Sue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts