Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone really takes it (or tries to take it) this far--to the point that baby is literally never put down, even while sleeping or contentedly cooing on a blanket on the floor? That seems to be what's advocated in the Continuum Concept, but it seems pretty impractical--and I don't know, maybe not so necessary seeing as how our babies aren't so much in danger of being eaten by a jaguar--in our culture.

I mean, I wear my babies a LOT, and certainly try to hold them whenever they seem to want it at the least, but I'm wondering, do you think there is a measurable difference in babies who are held that often, and babies who are held literally ALL the time?

I just posted about this on my blog, but since not many of my readers have much interest in babywearing beyond the occasional convenience of using a sling while shopping, I thought I'd come here and ask a more appropriate audience. What do you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
personally I think there is some amount of independent exploration that must happen. I had an exersaucer and walker and I don't agree that they are purely "neglectomatics" but it gave her a chance to have a freedom of learning without me hovering and telling her how to play and interact with her world.

I agree with your philosophy, I wear her whenever she wants it, or when we are out and about and it's convienent, but if she wants to explore and it is safe to do so then she should.

I think a child that is worn a lot has a feeling of security and in turn wants to play more and isnt quite as scared as children who arent because they know they can always go back to their mother(or parent). JMO

·
Registered
984 Posts
I held or wore both my babies all the time until they could crawl. Then they were on the floor unless they wanted to be held or it was unsafe ie I couldn't watch them carefully enough. But really this was a response to them as individuals more than an attempt to follow a specific philosophy. They wanted to be near me (they would never contentedly coo on a blanket!) and I wanted to be near them. By the time they were mobile we were all ready for a few minutes apart here and there.

My guess is the differences in babies like mine and those who spend some time in a bouncy seat or on a blanket are pretty subtle. It's the babies who are never held and the toddlers who are never put down who are going to have significant problems.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I follow my babies lead and do what makes them happy. For both of them, they have periods of time where they WANTED to be put down. I happen to have two very active/alert children, and being in arms for 6 months would have been torturous for them. Both kids learned to crawl at 4 months and were happiest on the floor at that point. Of course they spent much more time in arms than lots of babies, but not 100% of the time.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It seems like the more kids I have, the more the littlest is worn. My new baby (just 2 mos old) spends maybe 3 minutes a day where he isn't carried either by arms or a carrier. It's mostly because I find it easier to wear him. If I put the baby down in a bouncing seat or whatever, then I have to watch out for the 25 mos. old, who is still too young to realize that he can't sit on the baby.
So, it's just easy for me to wear him or carry him in arms. I can nurse in a carrier and also do back carries with him, so he gets the closeness he needs and I am able to also care for my older kids, do household chores and be a WAHM while still giving my baby the closeness he needs. So, I guess I'm doing the CC but for reasons that it is easier to carry him than to put him down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My newest little guy is 5th in a herd of kids under 6!!! So, yes, he is in arms or a carrier or his bed (raised too high for the other kids to get at him!) all day & night! And actually, I put my 6 monthy old on the ground for probably the 3rd time ever, hahaa, and he scooted backwards!! Guess they don't need practice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.