Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a long term type 1 diabetic, and a recent test showed early kidney disease. My endo said that I should have been on ACE or ARB inhibitors already, but it's really important now. Has anyone here looked into the safety of using them while bfing? A quick internet search revealed only the pg and bfing are contraindications. My ds is 12 mos, and I don't want to wean him yet, and we'd like to get pg again in the next year or so.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It looks like both types of drugs are very very bad during pregnancy, especially after the first trimester.

I would talk to an LC. I have a copy of Hale's and just looked this up for bf. There are a couple of these drugs that are rated L2 (second safest category, remote risk), but some of them it says have not been studied at all in bf women.

Another source is looking up MotherRisk, a drug and bf hotline out of the Sick Children's Hospital in Toronto, on the web. I have heard of other people getting information there about bf drugs.

Good luck to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.