Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--My MIL was just diagnosed with gout, and I'm not sure where to even start looking for info about it. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'd really appreciate it. She's in excruciating pain, and I'd like to be able to offer her some ideas about how to 1) alleviate the pain quickly and 2) solve the long-term problem of getting rid of the gout.

Thanks!

· Registered
58 Posts
Hi. My husband has gout and it just pains me to watch him go through his episodes. I would suggest to your MIL to keep a food diary for a while and hopefully she might be able to figure out if she has any food triggers. For my husband it is anything with vinegar. I know a lot of gout episodes are tiggered by food. We've also realized that stress is a big trigger (usually involving his mom :LOL ) As far as treating-he has a prescription for Indomethican and takes it when it gets really bad. Also takes cherry juice(unsweetened) for minor attacks. For pain, he's tried Aleve and moist heat with some success. I really think it's all about prevention, especially with diet. I just recently found an article about using stinging nettle for arthritis-something to look into. Good luck to your MIL and hope she is able to find some relief.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.