Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm looking for non-Teflon baking pans - one for making muffins, and one for making homemade pizza. I guess these would come in the form of stainless steel? Are there any companies that make these? Am I just dreaming that this would be a possibility? Anyone have anything like this? TIA!!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
for muffins, how about a cast iron one?

for pizza, I have heard talk about a pizza stone, I don't have one, so no help there on what to look for, could you use a round cast griddle? I use a the biggest cast iron skillet I have

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
My muffin pans are silicone, I bought them from Amazon.

Pizza, you'd probably want a stone. Sur La Table is a great place to find these things, but I tend to order from Amazon because they're usually cheaper. I do know Pampered Chef also carries them if you can get ahold of it. That's where I got mine.

You can definitely get baking sheets as well. I got mine at Sur La Table (although they don't have them on the website). It's much easier to buy them in person though, as sometimes they won't say if they're non-stick on websites.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have some cast iron muffin tins from Amazon and I love them!

I am planning to get a baking stone for pizzas and bread. It is on my 'wish list' for my birthday or christmas. Thanks Cristeen for mentioning SurlaTable - we have a B&M store here so I'll check there. I know many people love the Pampered Chef ones!

They also make stoneware muffin pans and bread pans. I currently have glass/Pyrex loaf pans when I make that style but I want to try out the stoneware mini loaf pans! ( I know you didn't mention bread pans, but I thought I'd throw that in there )

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I used to use stoneware for pizza. When I went GF, I gave it away. I now use a (new) cast iron round griddle pan for pizza. Gives a great crust!

As for muffin pans, I didn't want to use stoneware or cast iron (heavy), so I just kept checking our local supermarkets and one of them eventually had a non-nonstick pan. They're usually aluminum, not steel, but I don't bake acidic things, so I'm not worried.

For baking sheets, I just buy restaurant supply style quarter and half sheets. I buy mine at an Amish market, but restaurant supply shops have them.

I have glass (pyrex) casserole and loaf pans. And you can find old breadpans at garage sales pretty easily. Most of mine are inherited.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I use a stoneware bar pan for making pizza and such. You can also get stoneware muffin pans. I cannot say enough good things about baking with stoneware. Even frozen pizza tastes better when it's baked on stoneware!

I got mine from pampered chef, but you can also get them at places like Wal-mart

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was completely against using silicone because I was just TERRIFIED that it would melt in my oven. But whatdoyaknow? It works great and cleans really easily. I'm slowly replacing my teflon stuff with silicone items. They are a little pricey, so it's taking a while. chefs.com has a lot of good stuff, or if you want to get it locally, linens and things or bed bath n'beyond has a good selection.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Target has some non-nonstick stuff. It depends on what store you go to.. some of them are nice and thick, the other looks kind of like aluminum and is really light. The light stuff you should avoid- it will rust the second it gets wet. Bed Bath and Beyond, I think, has nonteflon goodies as well but they are $$$ and go fast here.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've had really good luck finding some stuff at Goodwill. We have a lot of cast iron as well that we bought from camping stores.

What is the verdict on the silicone - is it really safe? I bought a cheapo baking sheet cover from Target a couple of years ago and it stained really bad and was nasty. After I do some more research if I feel like it's okay, I think that I'm going to splurge and get some really high quality stuff. I'm obsessively reorganizing my entire house to save space and so I love the idea that it's easier to store!

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
What is the verdict on the silicone - is it really safe? I bought a cheapo baking sheet cover from Target a couple of years ago and it stained really bad and was nasty. After I do some more research if I feel like it's okay, I think that I'm going to splurge and get some really high quality stuff. I'm obsessively reorganizing my entire house to save space and so I love the idea that it's easier to store!
Under 500 degrees F, silicone is inert. Trust me when I say don't take it over 500... it's nasty. Silicone kitchen stuff is not all the same. Quality definitely comes into play here. Just like you wouldn't buy a $5 skillet and expect it to act like a $50 skillet, with silicone you get what you pay for. I have 2 Pedrini muffin pans (9-hole) that I love, I just bought Wilton muffin cups (individual) that seem to be pretty good, but I like the Pedrini better. I have several Silpats that have served me well for years. I just bought a set of Tovolo ice cube trays that I'm loving (replacing plastic ones). Over time and abuse they will get stained like any cookware. You cannot scrub them and they should not be put in the dishwasher, so don't use them to cook something like a roast unless you're going to dedicate that one to roast cooking. But I use mine for roasting veggies, cookies, nuts, granola, etc with no problems and minimal staining.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.