Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a dream of ours that we cant stop thinking about. I'd love to hear ANYTHING about yurts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the link!

I would love to hear of families with more than one child living in a Yurt.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I didn't answer immediately because I don't live in a yurt fulltime. We have a 24 ft yurt that we live in during the summer at our summer camp. At camp everyone (campers and counselors) lives in tents, but with a toddler and #2 on the way we felt we needed a bit more of a home for the months that we are on the farm. Ours took MUCH
: longer than promised to arrive and didn't come with all of the parts, so the main thing I learned was that trying to save money with the "better value", smaller company was no value at all. I wisht that I had chosen one of the more established companys like Pacific Yurts.

As for living in the space, we have 2 "walls" of wardrobes that are about 8ft wide each to separate the bedroom area. Other than that the other 2/3 is open though we have a various areas set up. Since we are there in the summer, while camp is in session mostly there are some key things we didn't add like a bathroom, kitchen, and heating. I've looked into compsting toilets and propane heat, but they will have to wait. I don't know exactly what to tell you. We really like the space, everyone thinks that it is much roomier inside than they would expect, but as I said we didn't build in a kitchen or bathroom area. Our son really likes it and has been comfortable there since the day we moved in. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! We just love the look and the idea of living low-impact.

Living in N. California, we dont have low temperatures (maybe 20 at the lowest- and thats not even an average low). The bigger issue wuld be keep it cool.

Oh, on top of the fact that we cant really affird to buy property right now anyway!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We've been considering it too for our family of 4. We just bought (well, are in the process of paying off) 5 acres in southern utah. We're considering putting a yurt on it and vacationing there. My worry is the security when we aren't there. If you go to one of the bigger companies, they will give you a list of yurts in your state and you can go see them in person. We did and it was fun to actually stand inside one and see how they feel. (Awesome!) The guy that owns the acreage right next to ours was putting up a solid walled yurt. It was really nice and he was building rooms and kitchen and the whole 9yards. It was his permanent residence and about 2000 sq ft. I forget the company, though. I'll be watching this thread! peace!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have a brochure for that solid wall company...starts with "D" or something....looks very cool. Alot more $$$

·
Registered
870 Posts
I don't live in a yurt, but a good friend of mine built one and has lived in it with another friend for going on 2 years... It is really gorgeous-- she built the 20' diameter frame from found branches, hand tied and pegged them together (unsure how many poles, though I know she told me at one point), and made an enormous felted cover from wool donated by NYS farmers... I'll try to find pics. The project was her Senior Sculptural Forms project for her BA in Fine Art, and I think it took her about 4 or 5 months from start to finish to build from scratch (design and planning, gathering poles, debarking poles, tying poles, felting cover, etc), but now that she has it together, it only takes an hour or two to set-up...

She is planning to move from the yurt soon, though, because after all that time living in fairly primitive conditions (no plumbing or electric, candles for light, wood-stove for heat), she's ready for civilization again (that, and she found the space a bit to small to contain both her personality and that of her other friend...)

Good luck with yurting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, cdmaze, we are a group of people living in harmony with Mother Earth here in Western Canada.....BC to be exact.

We have some living in yurt's (year-round)....sometimes the temp's get to -30c and summer the total opposite +35c,....-40f - +100f.

We use mainly wood heat and don't have any indoor temp problem's either way hot or cold.
We build our own yurts and have become very dollar-wise and can build them now very inexpensivly. Also will be building geodesic domes, cobb.strawbale,rammed earth,under/inground housing as well as other yet unheard of way's of building at the north property.

Please feel free to pm or email me for info on yurts and other free energy topic's.

also we are into organic growing and I am very much into building greenhouses of various description's. for instance we have a 40 foot pyramid greenhouse here. Which work's incredibly well.

we will have a website up soon.

The main thing we are doing right now is natural healing and related thing's of that nature.

Btw......your thread/topic is why I just joined this forum/site......thank''s cdmaze.

.......satchmo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, cdmaze, we are a group of people living in harmony with Mother Earth here in Western Canada.....BC to be exact.

We have some living in yurt's (year-round)....sometimes the temp's get to -30c and summer the total opposite +35c,....-40f - +100f.

We use mainly wood heat and don't have any indoor temp problem's either way hot or cold.
We build our own yurts and have become very dollar-wise and can build them now very inexpensivly. Also will be building geodesic domes, cobb.strawbale,rammed earth,under/inground housing as well as other yet unheard of way's of building at the north property.

Please feel free to pm or email me for info on yurts and other free energy topic's.

also we are into organic growing and I am very much into building greenhouses of various description's. for instance we have a 40 foot pyramid greenhouse here. Which work's incredibly well.

we will have a website up soon.

The main thing we are doing right now is natural healing and related thing's of that nature.

Btw......your thread/topic is why I just joined this forum/site......thank''s cdmaze.

.......satchmo.

·
Registered
729 Posts
YURTS~~~~~~~ AAAHHHHHH I WANT TO LIVE IN ONE!!!!!!!!!! woops caps... I started my obesession with yurts right after I left x about 9 months ago. I am so excited to see all the other people who are interested. In my mind it is somthing affordab;e for a single mamma. And they are just beautiful!!!!! I wouldn't go "high end" but it has been bouncin around in my head daily. yea i'm crazy. I have the land on my mammas mountain, it's just saving $ to do it. I am having a real hard time budgeting
: but everyday I learn a little more.
So that is my piece....

·
Registered
212 Posts
CDMaze: Sorry to have missed this thread! I try and search "yurts" every so often, but I guess it's been a while since I've done so. Zamber posted the link to another recent "yurt living" thread, also see this thread, both of which I have posted about our situation, so I won't repeat myself, other to say we have been living fulltime in our yurt in N. Minnesota for over seven years.

You stated you were interested in people with more than one child living in a yurt, we have just one, however it is great to have a "yurt kid." Of course, she really doesn't realize how unusual it is to live in a yurt, or that most people don't even know what a yurt is. I think if I had more than one, I would consider raising a second yurt and attaching it to the first. In fact, we may do this at some point as our dd gets older, to give her her own space. We have also considered raising a second yurt and using it as a workshop/studio/homeschooling area.

There is a new book about the various kinds of yurts: Yurts: Living in the Round . It is written by a woman who has a website that has quite a bit of info on yurts: Yurtinfo.org. I found out about the book and website from a yahoo group about yurts: The Yurt Community . I'm not terribly active in the group, but there are some there that are currently living in a yurt and those that are moving in that direction. There is some tension in the group regarding traditional vs. modern yurts, however, there is still quite a lot of useful and interesting discussion.

Good Luck!

Satchmo: I am very interested in your yurt community. How long has your community been in existence? How much land is each yurt/homestead on? How many residents do you have? Do you cooperatively own the land, or do individuals own parcels of the land?

I have more ?? but will leave it at that for now. Love to hear more!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow- now this is really taking off!

I'd love to try to build our own and not have to go through a company. We've never built anything and have no skills! But the inspiration is enough to get both dh and I thinking.

Our biggest problem is property. We live in a great little town in California...but it's still California which means big $$$$$$.

Our house right now is tiny- but fine for the time being.

I'm kind of embarassed to say our interest in yurts is almost more aesthetic that eco-conscious. We loved the feel of a Yurt we saw once and have always dreamed of making a home in one. We are new to enviromental thinking - we're learning and growing.

We have thought about having two large Yurts- connecting them- having one main one with a sleeping loft for us- and the other could be a big kids room.

I saw a picture of some connected yurts once- now I cant find it. Anyone seen this?

Satchmo-

Could you tell us all about your Yurts? Are they canvas? Are they similar to Pacific Yurts or are they nore traditional? How much skill is required to build one? Are we barking up the wrong tree (since we have no building skill at all?)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone....look's like a lot of interest in yurt's here.......we have some living in single yurt's and some in double's....the second yurt being joined to the main living area and as a bedroom. Also using composting toilet's.

We will be almost starting from scratch at the northern property next spring....there is already a yurt there......which btw we usualy can put up in a day or two. the floor on the other hand we have built before and even under the yurt after it was built......all very good learning experience's.....It's much easier to build the floor first..........also varies with circumstances.

We use canna's (very easy to build and put up) for now we are using heavy trucking tarp's for the outside and a product called reflective's for an insulation barrier on the inside wall's and ceiling's....very simple and easy to use.
Apart from that window's/door's are only limited by your imagination, get creative.....it's fun.

Will post more as time permit's.

Have a wonderful day everyone.......satchmo.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow! This is the answer to my question I had posted about affordable dwellings I can build myself! I am so excited! And what's more - DH is on board and is totally committed to building a yurt ourselves!! YAY!

I'm definitely going to hanging out here for a while.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts