Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I've tried unsuccessfully to find a good resource on how to make baby care products at home. I should clarify that I've looked online mostly (and our small library is very limited in this regard), so it's hard to really judge the book other than based on reviews and/or the amazon "look inside this book" table of contents.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've ordered some terrific baby soap, baby wipes solution, baby balm from WAHM mamas for my two kiddos - both have very sensitive skin and are prone to rash/eczema. Lovely, but it is getting expensive...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are currently expecting babe #3 in the spring, and I will finally become a SAHM (yea! :D ). I'd love to try my hand at making my own stuff, but I can't seem to find a good book.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: I have found quite a bit on the internet, but since there's a lot of misinformation out there, and this is for baby and child skin...I'd rather have an edited, published, reviewed resource, IFYKWIM...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HELP?!<br><br>
Thanks, Mamas!<br>
:)</p>

·
Registered
55 Posts
<p>Here are a few ideas for you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><span style="font-family:arial;">EOs for Baby</span></strong></span></p>
<p><span style="font-family:arial;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">·  From birth to 2 months: Chamomile (both German and Roman), Lavender, Yarrow and Dill are safe essential oils.<br>
·  From 2 months to 6 months old: Adding to those already listed, you can also include Coriander, Neroli and Mandarin essential oils.</span></span></p>
<p><span style="font-family:arial;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">·  From 6 - 12 months old: Gradually add Grapefruit, Tea Tree and Calendula essential oils.</span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-family:arial;"><span style="font-size:10pt;">Dilute all essential oils used on babies and never use Spearmint or Clary Sage.</span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p>General - Roman Chamomile, Geranium, Lavender  <br><br>
Colic - Dill in almond oil applied to stomach & back.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong><span style="font-family:arial;">Carrier Oils for Baby</span></strong></span></p>
<p>Natural oils supply the skin with vitamins and natural emollients, making the skin feel smooth. <strong>Jojoba</strong> oil quickly penetrates the skin layer because of the similar components it has like the natural sebum in the human skin. This oil is very light and doesn’t leave an oily residue. Jojoba oil can be used to condition the hair, scalp and skin and will never feel oily.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Sunflower</strong> seed oil is another natural oil well used for treating the skin. These oil supplies the skin with essential fatty acids and vitamins A, D, and E. The light to medium texture oil deeply moisturizes the skin and hair.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Both oils are naturally nourishing for baby skin. The similarity of these two oils with human sebum gives a natural balance to a baby’s skin.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keep it simple.  You'll be amazed at how well just oils and a few EOs work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Quick and Easy Rash-Healing Baby Powder</strong></p>
<p>Combine 2 tablespoons arrowroot and 1 tablespoon zinc oxide powder. If you don't have zinc oxide, arrowroot alone works perfectly well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Another <strong>Diaper Rash Powder</strong> Option:</p>
<p>50% Arrowroot Powder<br>
25% Kaolin Clay<br>
25% Rice Powder (or just use more arrowroot)</p>
<p>For 3 cups total - 6 drops each of lavender and chamomile essential oil</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you are partial to <strong>Salves</strong> try:</p>
<p>1 part beeswax with 2 to 8 parts oil (the more oil the softer) (add antioxidant like vitamin E), plus a few drops EOs (no more than 1/2% of total formula)</p>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Awesome! :D</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so much - that's very, very helpful!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there a source to go to for general safety for age related information?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you again!<br>
PGR</p>

·
Registered
55 Posts
<p>It's from years of research studying as a formulator.  For your own peace of mind, I'd suggest reading <span style="text-decoration:underline;">The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy</span> by Valerie Wormwood and <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Aromatherapy and Massage for Mother and Baby</span> by Allison England.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keep in mind that less is better.  Should your baby have any reaction -- which can also occur with commercial products -- it's much easier figuring out the trigger when only using one or two oils, as opposed to the oodles of ingredients generally found in commercial products.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts