Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm just curious about whether or not anyone else had a similar experience. I ended up being induced my first pregnancy b/c I was measuring small from my 34 wk to my 36 wk appointment. I ended up having an U/S where they just said she was probably 5 lbs 4oz estimated. At 38 wks they scheduled a second U/S and estimated her at 5 lbs 9 oz - which wasn't enough of a gain for a 2 wk period so I was induced. They ended up being pretty darn accurate b/c she was 5 lbs 8 oz at arrival.
So - now we're pregnant with #2, and I'm just curious if the same will happen again, only b/c my neighbor has 2 and both pregnancies she had the exact same problem as me. So anyone else? Or was #2 different? Thanks!

· Registered
2,961 Posts
nak
my 1st preg i measured fine and had a 7lb baby at 309wks. I measured small this past time, but i had trouble ganing weight. mw's ordered weekly u/s from 34wks on and while he was <10%ile, he kept growing. we had tje iugr dx, but at 39wks he was on target, just like that. delivered 4 days past edd and he was 6-15, perfect. the only was i would have let them induce is if there had been no growth between scans, nd even then with the margins of error yt's a tough call. with everythung else looking good i think hanging on for as long as you can is advisable, and it's worth discussing with your provider to get on the same page.
good luck.

· Registered
357 Posts
5 and a half pounds at 38 weeks would have been 6 and half pounds at 40 and closer to 7 pounds at first-time-momma full-term (which is 41 weeks and 1 day on average).

Some babies are naturally smaller than others - mine have been 7.4 and 7.5. My mother had eight children and ALL were within 7 pounds except one that was 6.14 and one that was 8.2.....so that's just "normal" for our family. Unless the baby is showing clear signs of distress I would hesitate letting them induce so early!

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by white_queen_22 View Post
5 and a half pounds at 38 weeks would have been 6 and half pounds at 40 and closer to 7 pounds at first-time-momma full-term (which is 41 weeks and 1 day on average).

Some babies are naturally smaller than others - mine have been 7.4 and 7.5. My mother had eight children and ALL were within 7 pounds except one that was 6.14 and one that was 8.2.....so that's just "normal" for our family. Unless the baby is showing clear signs of distress I would hesitate letting them induce so early!
I understand what you're saying, but the thing is she wasn't gaining weight that fast - you're assuming she would've gained a pound in 2 wks - but she only gained 5 oz. in 2 wks, which is why they induced. I'm not asking anyone for should i or should I not induce, I've already had her - what I want to know is if this did happen to anyone else, if their second baby was also small?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.