Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering night weaning for dd, who is 16 months. I had planned to already have started, because I was getting ANGRY at her at night, and wanted to change that. But she suddenly mellowed some at night, so I've postponed it a bit.
I have had mastitis twice (have it right now for the second time), and I struggled with a milk blister and plugged ducts off and on for about 4 months. So I'm a bit worried that night weaning will cause me to get mastitis. Right now her longest sleep stretch is an occasional 3-hour time, mostly waking up every 2 hours or less. So to go 6 or 7 hours at night without nursing would be a big jump!
Anyone else who is prone to mastitis have experience with this?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am not prone to mastitis, but I did nightwean pretty slowly (one feeding at a time over a month) and did not have any discomfort at all. I think in your shoes I would pump or hand express a little (not empty the breast, but just take a little out) for a few nights to a week to start signaling to your body that it does not need to make milk or it can make less milk at that time? Either right at her usual wake up time or maybe stretch yourself for an hour or two?

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I did a brief nightweaning of my same age son at 13 months, and while it went well, there was definitely not a jump from the nursing every 2 hours to no nursing for 6 hours right away. I did a modified Jay Gordon thing, over 12 days, and so the little bit of engorgement I had in the morning didn't feel as though it would lead me to mastitis (which I always feel I am fighting). We abandoned the nightweaning for illness and teething and haven't gotten back yet, but I think of it more than once a day.

Anyway, if you're going to do it at all gradually, I think your body will catch up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts