Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a couple dipes used, and I just am not going to do it again. I am a thrift-store gal with a love of yard-sales, but for some reason, I only want new dipes. Anyone else who can't get over the used diaper thing?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I used to buy used no problem...and when CDing my 2nd baby we really couldn't afford to buy new. But after many bad deals (item in "excellent condition" arrives faded, with holes & elastic issues) I just couldn't be bothered. I'd rather buy new...then I know for sure what I'm getting.

For someone new to CDing though...buying used helps cut down on the cost of trying many different brands...just be careful about who you buy from...whether Ebay, the TP here, Diaper Swappers, whatever CHECK THEIR FEEDBACK! If they have negatives (or shady "neutrals") beware!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I vowed never to buy used again when I was buying off of ebay. I still will not buy used off of ebay. However, I have found a swap board and had great experiences. It really helps to be very picky. I will only buy EUC and I ask any questions I can think of.

That said, I do prefer new. DH HATES when I buy used, so the majority of my stash is bought new. New is just so *perfect.* For a while, anyway.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I've never bought used...not saying that I won't but just never have. I didn't know about any places to buy used dipes from before I started trying them out so I didn't realize I had a choice....the only thing about used is that you don't know how they've been cared for and if the dipe is in good condition or not until you get it...that worries me a bit. Plus, I've seen some used dipes go for almost as much as a new dipe does....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought some used and at first thought I'd never do it again cuz they diapers STUNK, but I got the stink out and they are some of our best ones now.
I am iffy about buying used but I'm not opposed to it depending on what it is. But I have what I need an more right now for my almost 3 yr old so I don't have to worry about it for a while. lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've been buying used. This is my 1st baby to be CD'd and I only have half a clue of what I'm doing. I'll only buy them off here and diaperswappers and only if there are pics. I want to try so much and we're on such a tight budget that this is really the best way to do it for now. Though I do drool over new dipes (both Hyena and not) and will probably buy some new (my mom has hinted at purchasing me some for this baby as a gift). And I'll probably move more toward new as we figure it all out and learn what works best for us.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by northern_sunshine
I've been buying used. This is my 1st baby to be CD'd and I only have half a clue of what I'm doing. I'll only buy them off here and diaperswappers and only if there are pics. I want to try so much and we're on such a tight budget that this is really the best way to do it for now. Though I do drool over new dipes (both Hyena and not) and will probably buy some new (my mom has hinted at purchasing me some for this baby as a gift). And I'll probably move more toward new as we figure it all out and learn what works best for us.
I am in this exact same situation, exccept we have a 1yr old and one comming in October and we are only now switching, so I have been buying some used on Ebay.

I just started looking into diaperswaps on Yahoo, I am on some other swaps and co-ops on Yahoo so I am not sure why I didn't start there first.

So far I was only gotten 5 covers off of Ebay but I am looking at some more. The ones I got are just such CUTE patterns that I had to. I did check the retail for them first though to see if I was getting a deal or not and to know how much to bid up to. It seems that stuf on Ebay goes really high and with my limited budget I probably won't end up getting much on Ebay.

I have been EXTREMELY happy with all of the purchases I have made so far on my other swaps and co-ops so I probably will mostly buy from there. But also only what I can see pics of and what sounds like it is in EUC.

I have been looking at new WAHM stuff on Ebay also and I might buy some of those.

I try to buy new when I can but if I can get a deal on stuff used then I am all for it. I am a frugal shopper and have a whole system for buying cheap and then making money later still, I keep my stuff in EUC and only sell what I would buy myself.

Hopefully my used experiences for the most part will go well, I know I will probably have a couple of duds, but I am SOOO PICKY about what I want and buy so it lessens my chances hopefully.

I find that the stuff locally is so expensive in Canada where I am so then I look to online but then the shipping to Canada is CRAZY a lot of the time so I look for people who don't overcharge for shipping and stay loyal, New or Used stuff, to them if I like what I get.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've bought used a few times in the past, but I'll only buy new these days. I'm pretty picky, and I like knowing that the diapers are coming to me in excellent never used condition. I also love diaper shopping and getting to hand pick my choice of fabrics, colors, etc.;-)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Most of my stash is new, though I have purchased a few used. I'm a little turned off buy it and I haven't even used one that I bought used because I just get funny about it.
One of the other's I bought used I put on dd all the time. I can't get passed that some people will actually end up paying more for diapers than they would if they purchased from a place that offers free shipping. I see that all the time on ebay.

I too like buying new and am a sucker "free shipping"

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My whole stash is new. I wouldn't buy underwear from a garage sale or the thrift store, so I wont put a used diaper on my kid. It just gives me the heebie jeebies.
And ITA about paying WAYYYYY too much for something that is used. I'd rather buy new IPF, than used fitteds or AIO for the same price, yk?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I am freaked by the thought of a new dipe. That first poo would be awful. Used here and proud of it. It's fun and more frugal, and I can spot several breakdowns in the underwear analogy. For one, undies aren't nearly as durable as dipes.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I started out with new prefolds and nikky wraps for dd, as I didn't know there were many other options, and I wasn't going to pay what they wanted for flannel fitteds, when I could make them for a third (or less) the cost, had I had the energy or time.

Next, w/ds, I used many of the prefolds for a while, but then rediscovered the idea of fitteds, and tried some fuzzy buns used off of ebay. Oh, I LOVED the idea that they had elasticized legs! They were a little less absorbant than the prefolds, but my german neighbor had just gifted me with her entire stash (!) of diapers and wool covers and soakers, so the wool made up for the deficiency in the absorbancy of the fb's and life was grand. Nope, didn't care one TINY bit that they'd been on another baby's bum. Can't beat free.

NOW, I sew my own, really darling, knit fitteds. Cheaper than used, especially when you get a great deal on fabric. Of course, I am making them for OTHER people's babies, but ONE DAY...one day I'll have another little bum to put them on all my own. And then, geeze...the lucky mama who comes into MY stash when I'm all through. She's gonna hit the mother lode...of course, it'll all be used, so I'll have to find somebody who's not TOO picky about that kinda thing...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2abigail
My whole stash is new. I wouldn't buy underwear from a garage sale or the thrift store, so I wont put a used diaper on my kid. It just gives me the heebie jeebies.
And ITA about paying WAYYYYY too much for something that is used. I'd rather buy new IPF, than used fitteds or AIO for the same price, yk?
Yep, I totally agree. I have no problem with used clothes, but putting something that had someone else's crap in it just grosses me out. However, I would probably use diapers from my sister's kids without a problem, but I would bleach them!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
All of ours our new. The idea of used kind of squicks me out. Plus, I take a loooooong time to make up my mind, so it's good for me to shop at stores that will have the same stock for a while.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Totally depends on what it is. Philosophically, I support buying used - it's recycling

But due to being burned by buying used in various ways, I'm much more picky now. I'll buy used prefolds, flats, or inserts, no problem - they are super durable and easy to disinfect. With fitteds I ask a lot of questions about elastic and fabric wear. I don't buy used pockets because my DS is very sensitive to detergent residue and I'm paranoid about buildup/repelling, and stripping is takes forever in my front-loader. And I no longer buy wool used unless the buyer swears it hasn't been shrunk AND I've already tried the same wool product new - so I can compare the used product to what it should be like. I only buy used covers if they're in EC - there are so many ways for a cover not to be as waterproof as it should be, IMO.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tie-dyed
I am freaked by the thought of a new dipe. That first poo would be awful. Used here and proud of it. It's fun and more frugal, and I can spot several breakdowns in the underwear analogy. For one, undies aren't nearly as durable as dipes.
:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.