Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyone who has chosen to avoid root canal by having their tooth pulled instead? (if so which tooth/ teeth was it?) ... or if you found a 3rd option, please state!

and what was your reason for your choice?

.. and does anyone think it is possible for an infected tooth (that is in need of root canal) to go away? That is, the infection subside or clear up? It is assumed the round of antibiotics clear up the infection, but that it will return without the root canal (or extraction)... but why is this exactly? is there nothing that would clear it up for good?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had my back upper molar pulled almost 2 yrs ago. It needed a root canal, but I opted out. I made the decision based on location of the tooth, dangers of the root canal, the cost of the procedure, and the high probability of the root canal failing in a few years(the tooth was broken and had a large hole).
Also, my wisdom tooth was partially in next to the infected molar, and once the bad tooth was pulled, my wisdom tooth moved in the take up the space...so I kind of had a replacement tooth

I have no regrets--good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
I'm trying to make this decision as well. I have a large cavity which the dentist says is exposing the nerve, so I need to have either a root canal or an extraction, but don't know what to choose.

I do NOT like the idea of the root canal and crown, and can't afford it, but am afraid of the long term effects of missing a molar. I am already missing a pre-molar on the other side, and am short 4 teeth from my childhood orthodontic work, so I feel like I don't have many more teeth to lose

·
Registered
792 Posts
If I was ever told that I needed a root canal, I would refuse and have the tooth pulled instead and make sure that the roots where it was attached were cleaned out too so that it does not lead to a cavitation. The reason being because I researched root canals and found that in holistic dentistry they don't do them generally because the dead tooth is always known to be forever infected with dead decaying matter and releasing bacteria into the body and eventually causing health problems from it. I've had a total of 6 teeth pulled out (4 of them wisdom teeth) and the other 2 because an ignorant dentist from what I was a child claimed that I had too many teeth so he pulled 2 perfectly fine teeth. Anyway, so now I have 3 cavitations detected there and I have to have cavitation surgery to clean them out and its expensive. I'm going to do them one at a time and the first surgery I'm having done a couple weeks from now, and supposedly its pretty major because they have to give me an IV for vitamin C while the surgery is going on and then I have to go back the next day to get more IV vitamin C. My mom had her root canal tooth pulled out by a holistic dentist and the dentist said it was all infected where the tooth was extracted.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post
.. and does anyone think it is possible for an infected tooth (that is in need of root canal) to go away? That is, the infection subside or clear up? It is assumed the round of antibiotics clear up the infection, but that it will return without the root canal (or extraction)... but why is this exactly? is there nothing that would clear it up for good?
From what dh and I have experienced, the need for a root canal is caused by a deep cavity. Not all teeth that need RCs are infected. I had a cavity that I let go in my early 20s & only went to get it looked at when it started to hurt. Well, it was hurting b/c the cavity had gotten down to the nerve, not b/c the tooth was infected. I got the RC & have never had a problem w/ it since. If you have a deep cavity, I suppose you could stave off infection, but you would still end up in a bad place b/c you have a large hole in your tooth. People in third world countries still die from cavities. I do have an RC that I believe never "took" correctly and still gives me occasional problems. Again, done for cavity on a patched-together tooth, not infection. I get worried about my teeth moving and messing up the way they look and line up. I did have a baby tooth pulled (no adult tooth underneath) & they did not shift much, but they did shift.

If dh had every tooth pulled that needed an RC, he would have no teeth left! He has a LOT of RCs b/c his teeth are not great. We have a medical credit card that we put his RCs on. If you are talking about your furthest back molar, I would have much less problem getting one of those pulled

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I would consider ozone treatment to the tooth or extraction. From my research, it is impossible to completely clear infection and then you are encapsulating it in an anaerobic environment. I believe the root canal has more long-term risk than a singular tooth removal.

I have 10 mercury fillings from childhood. I'm considering having them all extracted. They are in molars and the cavities are too large to replace with composite.

Pat

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
If I was ever told that I needed a root canal, I would refuse and have the tooth pulled instead and make sure that the roots where it was attached were cleaned out too so that it does not lead to a cavitation. The reason being because I researched root canals and found that in holistic dentistry they don't do them generally because the dead tooth is always known to be forever infected with dead decaying matter and releasing bacteria into the body and eventually causing health problems from it. I've had a total of 6 teeth pulled out (4 of them wisdom teeth) and the other 2 because an ignorant dentist from what I was a child claimed that I had too many teeth so he pulled 2 perfectly fine teeth. Anyway, so now I have 3 cavitations detected there and I have to have cavitation surgery to clean them out and its expensive. I'm going to do them one at a time and the first surgery I'm having done a couple weeks from now, and supposedly its pretty major because they have to give me an IV for vitamin C while the surgery is going on and then I have to go back the next day to get more IV vitamin C. My mom had her root canal tooth pulled out by a holistic dentist and the dentist said it was all infected where the tooth was extracted.
so far I have 2 wisdom teeth out and 1 molar. I'm looking at another molar. I also told them I wanted it out but they discouraged me and tried to talk me into root canal. For my previous teeth, I'm happy they are gone, I don't miss them one bit, but I suspect I might miss this one. I am wondering what a removable partial is like, for the back 2 bottom molars, not that I'd be able to afford it anytime soon, but just wondering... As soon as the tooth came out, a piece of gauze was stuffed in and told to bite down. Otherwise, it would bleed, and bleed... what are they supposed to do at this point?

How do you know you have a cavitation, or does it happen with every tooth that is removed without getting the roots? what causes it, since you don't have 6, but only 3?

Anyone have an extraction where the dentist was holistic (there are none in my area, I checked once and it would be a long drive) and if so, what did they do after the tooth came out and how long did it take? What do I tell the dentist that I want done?? I'm sure they would think I was nuts. Would not a cavitation be still much better than having a root canal (the bacteria) after all, a root canal not necessary something natural whereas teeth have been falling out since beginning of time, right? any good books I can go to read more about?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I would consider ozone treatment to the tooth or extraction. From my research, it is impossible to completely clear infection and then you are encapsulating it in an anaerobic environment. I believe the root canal has more long-term risk than a singular tooth removal.

I have 10 mercury fillings from childhood. I'm considering having them all extracted. They are in molars and the cavities are too large to replace with composite.

Pat
that sounds like me, I had a lg filling in almost every big tooth Im guessing at least 12 of them.. had them replaced with white ones when I was in my early 20s (done the incorrect way, unfortunately I did not go to holistic dentist) - it does take a more skilled dentist to be able to seal large back fillings the correct way. I eventually had a number of those crowned though.

If you ever DO have them extracted, can you PLEASE let me know what you chose as a replacement (implant, bridge, removable partial, etc)

I've considered doing the same more than once but my dentist isnt keen on extractions and I'm also not sure which alternative to choose and how I'd like it in comparison (whether I might be sorry someday?) would love to hear from someone who has no regrets (or the opposite, I suppose!)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'm not strongly considering extraction at this moment, as I'm focused on gut healing, opening detox pathways and improving nutrient deficiencies (due to the mercury), before determining if removing the mercury is essential.

Have you gotten a second opinion? It is amazing how different the opinions are if you DO NOT prime them with 'the other doctor said I need extensive xyz done'. They are more apt to *agree* with extensive work than disagree with a colleague, I believe. A fresh, objective opinion could offer information. But, you don't want to have all the x-rays repeated either.

Personally, I'd travel up to 6+ hours each way to find a holistic practitioner and I'd seek out ozone therapy, as an adult. (as an aside, I've been hearing concerns about toddlers tolerating ozone, due to their inability to understand/cooperate/participate in the procedure properly.)

I haven't investigated the replacement teeth options at all.

The mercury fillings have the advantage of deterring bacterial growth in the cavity due to its toxicity.
Unfortunately, the composite filling doesn't provide the same "benefit". For large cavities, composite is not often effective long-term.

Have you read about 'curing cavities with nutrition'? It is a long thread in this forum. Personally, unless the tooth hurt and had loose mercury abrading, I'd go the conservative nutrition route and allow the tooth to deteriorate naturally. Or ideally, do ozone treatments on it. If there were an abscess, initially I'd do homeopathy and nutritional therapy. Are you doing probiotics, I assume you are.

Pat

·
Registered
792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post
How do you know you have a cavitation, or does it happen with every tooth that is removed without getting the roots? what causes it, since you don't have 6, but only 3?
I had a cavitat scan done. This is my dentist's web site: http://www.drerwin.com/servTech.html

"The Cavitat is an imaging system that uses sonogram-like technology to detect areas of osteonecrosis (dead and decaying tissues) and infections that are almost impossible to detect with x-rays. Once detected, the sites can be cleaned out and the body, unburdened of its toxic load so it can heal. Bar none, the Cavitat is the best tool we have for identifying these otherwise hidden sites of disease."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Merai,D.D.S. View Post
IV vitamin C for holistic dental surgery? That is so wrong wrong wrong! That is not dentistry. What is holistic about pumping up someone with toxic doses of IV vitamin C? There is no such field or specialty existing in dentistry called 'holistic dentistry'.
I've never read anything about iv vitamin c being harmful or toxic. What is so toxic about vitamin c? Doesn't the body excrete what it does not use? Intravenous vitamin C therapy is done to treat and cure cancer. Dr. Buttar used high doses of intravenous vitamin C as part of the protocol he used to cure Desiree Jennings of dystonia that she got from the flu shot.

Actually, according to my dentist's web site, he does "Biological Dentistry" which is explained here: http://www.drerwin.com/article_01_whatIsBD.html

My old dentist called herself a holistic dentist, but she shut down her business last year.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Cavitat sounds interesting.. so it is a sonogram basically, from what it sounds like. Seems like every dentist should have one.

I've also never heard of vit. C being toxic. Seems very safe but I've never had the iv kind. The worst thats happened to me with massive doses (many grams) of C is gas pains and that may be because I took the wrong kind (ascorbic acid instead of sodium ascorbate) I switched over to sodium ascorbate about a year ago and it doesnt give me any trouble. But I've not needed to take too much with it yet but have taken 2g. at a time 2 or 3 times a day with no trouble. I'm guessing the iv kind would be even gentler on your stomach, but have no idea. Also not sure how many grams one would use in that situation.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I have a tooth I was told needed a root canal and they showed me the x-ray explaining the slight color difference was an infection. I had an abscess in the gum. I took the round of antibiotics (mostly because they scared me) while taking probiotics to counteract any good germs being destroyed. I did not experience any yeast issues that I am aware of.

I've also been working on my general health. I was swishing coconut oil around in my mouth every night for awhile and the abscess healed. I have more recently been doing "oil pulling" with unrefined, cold-pressed sesame oil and have been releasing all kinds of "gunk" from my body (mostly congestion). Bone broth, healthy salts (Celtic, RealSalt, and Himalayan), coconut oil, vitamin D3, and other things as well.

So far, I have no pain, so I have not taken any action on the root canal thus far.

I think I have found a reasonably priced holistic dentist and plan to see him in the next few weeks. I will know more after that appointment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you do with the space that is left after the thooth was pulled? I have at least 4 teeth that had such huge fillings, and some crazy silver "bolts" inside the root canal. all of them lost the leftover tooth tissue on the sides (it broke off) ..but the fillinings are still holding!!! anyways i need them taken out, or crowned over it... all the dentists have different opinioons about it.

So if i do pull them and i am not willing to walk around missing that many teeth at 27, what are my options? what do allof you do with the space left? How unsafe are implants? bridges?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by malina View Post

So if i do pull them and i am not willing to walk around missing that many teeth at 27, what are my options? what do allof you do with the space left? How unsafe are implants? bridges?
Wouldn't do implants, would do bridges.

Pat

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
GREAT NEWS!!!

I saw my first holistic dentist today. I purposely refrained from mentioning any previous diagnoses on the paperwork or during the exam until the dentist mentioned his findings. We discussed the differences in suggestions from the traditional perspective and the holistic perspective. The root canal never came up, so I had to bring it up myself!!!

I have one crown and that crown has been one source of constant discussion with every dentist since. Sigh. This dentist brought it up again
but in a different way. His concern is for the type of metal under the porcelain and the adhesive holding it in place. I need to call the dentist who did the work to ask some questions. (This constant source of discussion with dentists has made me not so eager to do anymore crowns.)

I have one very large (composite) filling that is the other source of constant discussion with every dentist I've seen. Sigh. This dentist says it is a judgement call because it is borderline crown-worthy and that he also does fillings like this for patients when finances prevent a proper crown. However, he tells patients to think of it as a "temporary filling", which I was never told by the original dentist who did it. I do recall that dentist explaining that he would rather do a crown and that I couldn't afford one at the time, but specifically explaining that it would start to crack and break down within five years.... No, he never told me THAT. (This composite filling replaced an amalgam back in the Spring of 2005 and I was already shelling out a lot for all my amalgams to be replaced, which the holistic dentist said that dentist did a good job.)

So, the end of the exam comes and he never mentioned needing a root canal. He was very thorough on so many other things besides the above two issues, so I felt the need to discuss it with him. He had my xrays (digital) up on the computer screen and we went over them again and he said he saw nothing to indicate the need for a root canal. His best guess is that traditional dentistry would flag that large filling as root canal material. He also told me that I would *KNOW* I needed immediate dental attention due to the pain.

I didn't tell him, but I already experienced that excruciating pain a couple years ago (on the tooth the last dentist said needed a root canal) and I had an abscess in the gum right above that tooth. I saw two Ayurveda practitioners (one went to India for further training) for this and other health issues and we worked on my internal health overall. When I went to the dentist who said I needed a root canal in January 2009, they scared me into taking a round of antibiotics. I took probiotics before, during, and after, as well. About mid-year, I swished virgin coconut oil around my mouth - concentrating on the abscess - and it went away. (I had also tried other home remedies and they also made it temporarily go away. The VCO effects seem to be permanent at this point. Or perhaps it is cumulative?) I recently switched to healthier salts and we've been doing bone broth for over a year (maybe close to two now?). In any case, I saw both xrays - last one with shadow indicating infection of root, so they said, and this one showing normal shading throughout - and to my untrained eyes, that area looks different now than before. YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I have turned down 2 root canals so far in favor of having the teeth pulled. I never intend to have a root canal because I cannot afford to have a crown put on it.

I dont know anyone who has had a root canal without a crown who didnt eventually loose the tooth any way.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I had about a third of my top back molar crack off and I chose to have it pulled rather than a root canal and crown. I could have also had it pulled and then a pin inserted and a fake tooth put in, but I chose not to do that either. It was largely due to money, but I haven't regretted having it pulled. I had a number of dentists and oral surgeons tell me it's up to me and while they wouldn't usually recommend pulling a tooth and not replacing it, if I was going to lose a tooth, that tooth was probably the best to lose (both cosmetically and functionally) and not have problems later on.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by enfpintj View Post
what is your reasoning on this? do you have any good sources? thanks.
Well, having read a lot regarding the procedural implant of a titanium post into an oral cavity which by definition has MANY bacteria, it sounds like a high risk procedure, imo. They implant the post into the gum and bone for stability. And the infection risks are too significant for my comfort. http://www.ehow.com/about_5619607_da...implants_.html

And nerve damage risks. http://www.parkaveperio.com/faq/implants.htm

Repeated surgeries due to implant failure.
http://universitydental.co.uk/articl.../Implants.html

Skill level required for implantation: http://www.articlesbase.com/dental-c...ts-569819.html

Just the high risk of oral flora infecting a bone and causing systemic infection. This is a descriptive article about the procedure.

Bridges are adhered to the adjacent teeth, without invasive implantation of a foreign object into a bone.

Pat

1 - 20 of 25 Posts