Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far along you are? I sat here thinking about it this morning and I know conception date...there was no other time.
If I'm a "good patient" and use my LMP as is I'm about 17 weeks. If I'm a "bad patient" and tweak my numbers according to conception date I'm closer to 19 weeks. I swear I was just becoming 18!
I am tired of people asking how far along I am and telling them since I do "know" (as well as you can with three numbers!
). I'm tempted to erase my siggy and stop the counting. I know I go over anyway so why have the added strain you know? I'll know to some extent since I am able to feel my uterus and I know the basic position at 20 weeks but I won't have that oh so "difinitive" number.

That's it...I've made up my mind. I'm due sometime late August and NO I don't know how many weeks I am.

This is hereby a support club for us naughty folk who do not live by numbers!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm a bit of a planner so I wanted an approximate due date, even knowing I'd probably be a little late. I always had to stop and do the math on the weeks though.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
not UC'ing, but not counting either
i specifically looked for a midwife who didn't need to count. one practice i interviewed said that they didn't do homebirths after 42 weeks, and that they'd start in on the castor oil and stuff to make sure i didn't go past that. um, no thanks.

i know within 2 days when we conceived, but that gives about a week window to the due date since i don't know when i ovulated, and it's not like a due date means too much either! the only thing i worried about was having the baby too "early" for a homebirth but actually having them be old enough, or thinking that they were ok for homebirth, but actually were too early. i'm at about 36 weeks now, so i'm not worrying anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
This is a subject so near and dear to my heart.
Over the years I've had so many funny interactions with people on this - they would ask, "when are you due?"...and I would say, "July". And they'd say, "No, I mean, WHEN are you due?". I would just shrug and say July again. I cannot tell you the frustration they felt! Some people would actually get angry! It was hilarious. As though there is a magical day when it's supposed to happen, and without that DATE, there is crisis.

Sadly though, so many mamas (even home birthing ones) are taught to believe that the traditional 40 weeks is set in stone. It sets up all kinds of reasons for interventions like sweeping membranes & inductions. Even with midwives! It's very sad to me. And the panic that ensues psychologically....I read it all the time. Scary.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
This is a subject so near and dear to my heart.
Over the years I've had so many funny interactions with people on this - they would ask, "when are you due?"...and I would say, "July". And they'd say, "No, I mean, WHEN are you due?". I would just shrug and say July again. I cannot tell you the frustration they felt! Some people would actually get angry! It was hilarious. As though there is a magical day when it's supposed to happen, and without that DATE, there is crisis.

SOOO true! When I found out I told my mom (and everyone else) late August. I then got THREE emails from her asking when am I due and each time I said late August (I really should have said early September
). We went shopping with her last week and she asks if I knew the actual due date yet or if it was still jsut late August (thereby assuming I had seen someone...she knows better than to ask my birth plans
). I told her I knew but wasn't telling anyone. You know what she said?

Well now you are just being mean to be mean.

:

Glad there are other non-counters! I knew I'd fine 'em.
I never felt comfy saying how far along I was with DD because it never felt "true" and this time around I don't want to say it followed by "but I go late". My mom went a month over with my sister and a week or so over with me (had I not had some serious issues going on she said she would have waited til I came...as it was I am my mom's only csection baby). I know I go over and I don't want to deal with the dumb non filtered things people have to say.

MITF: I love your chitlin's names! I saw Amulet and called DH up to see if he liked it.

I have a thread in the August DDC about good comebacks for when the time comes...I think we should have one for us non counters. I'm sure we'll come across many stupid remarks.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Well now you are just being mean to be mean.
OH, but it's so FUN to be mean.
I've actually said even more vague things to people like:

Q: "when are you due?"
my answer: "Summer".

OH, just watch the eyes glaze over at that one....
:

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
OH, but it's so FUN to be mean.
I've actually said even more vague things to people like:

Q: "when are you due?"
my answer: "Summer".

OH, just watch the eyes glaze over at that one....
:
: I am so using that! I'll throw in an added "late" when I really want to see them glaze.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm here. Specifically not counting. I think I am about 13 weeks but I am starting to loose count and purposely NOT rechecking the calender.

I conceived the same week as I did with ds 3 years later. (Crazy! HOw my cycles stayed the same even with the break of preg and nursing!) So I have a rough of idea of when my edd would( late sept) be and b/c I know have the confidence to know that I am a slow cooker I am saying sometimes in October.

I had such a learning curve with ds. Even though my mom and my grandmother always went "late" that due date was imprinted in my mind and it was my first and I can't tell you how many times I looked at the calender and counted the days. Then my mw tells be at 38 weeks I could go at any time....and I didn't go for another 4.5 weeks. It actually drove me insane....everyone asking me why I don't get induced, people questioning my mw, my MIDWIFE telling me I needed to go to the hosp. to get stress tests at 41.5 weeks. Auuuuughhhhhh!

So needless to say everyone thinks my official dd is in Oct. (including me).

Long story short....no I am not counting and loving just using the seasons in my head to tell time.

And actually I always tell people beginning of Oct. and people have been accepting that without a thought. (Maybe they are afraid to talk to me about birth!
People consider me a bit "extreme" around here!
)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm in your DDC, so I'm also in the "late August/early September" area. I don't have a problem counting weeks, but I won't pin down a due date
I know which day we had intercourse, but I don't know when I ovulated or conceived, so I already have a range of 3-5 days (depending on how long sperm can last).

My other two kids were both a week 'late'. One was a week 'late' based on early ultrasound dating, and I don't remember how I calculated the due date for my 2nd. So I'm not sure if he was a week 'late' based on Naegele's rule, or if I was calculating another way, or what
Not that you can predict birthing times based on earlier children, anyway, lol.

I think the official date calculated using Naegele's rule would be August 18th, but in my mind, I've been thinking the last week of August, possibly into September. I should start thinking more broadly - just thinking "August", so that I'm not surprised by a baby in mid-August, when I wasn't planning to be ready until September!

I like seeing the progression of the weeks, and seeing that time really is going by quickly. This is kind of irrational, but I do like knowing how many weeks I am in case of a sudden emergency. Not that it would change the outcome or anything, I guess.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I think counting makes the pregnancy go slower - don't you? I know a round about number mostly because I just found out. But the ladies in my due date club know to the *day* - wow! I watched my calendar last time and felt like I couldn't bear it another day by 35 weeks!

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does seem to go slower! Especially in the beginning when everyone asks and throws in the words "just" or "barely". So much nicer to make them figure it out if it's really that big of a deal to have that number.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I try not to count but every time I went into the Drs I was reminded how far along I was and my family would obsess about the date as if it really was going to occur at that time and plan to be there for then.I am an early birther and the closer I get to my month the more feel I get for when I'm going.This time I'm feeling like early May not mid to late May when I might be due occording to U/S.This time around when I checked in so late in my pregnancy the nurse was so flustered she just could not grasp the idea that my LMP was in June but no I'm not due this month becuase I was BFing and so my cycles are wonky and the U/S says May.She actually made up a LMP so that she could fill in the chart completly.Goofiness!I am so happy to be UCing this time becuase at least I know I won't be waiting for family members to realize that yes I am going to go early that date is not exact.
I keep forgetting exactly how many weeks I am but sometimes I try to figure it out just so that i can look at those Child is Born pics and visualize where my baby is growth wise.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
When I uc'ed, many moons ago, I did not count at all. I worked out my conception date and a rough due date then just forgot about it till baby happened. I didn't bother working out the exact date like I had for my first dd born in hospital after my hb was sabotaged. I actually lied to the doc and gave them a false conception date so I could do my own thing. I loved the fact that I 'allowed' myself to do this. People should have more dignity than demanding women tell them their due dates or at least be happy with the month or indeed season. Congrats on all your pregnancies!!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I like know what week I'm in and a rough due date, even though I don't put any stock in due dates. With my last pg (m/c) I just gave people IRL "late August" when asked (EDD was 23 Aug and my 1st was early, so...)

If I get pregnant this cycle my EDD will be 8 Dec, so I'll probably tell people "mid-December." Or if they push "after Vetern's Day but before the new year." Is that more specific for you? lol!

I think people get too caught up on that one day and time will cease to exist if you are still pregnant after it! Causes too much stress and anxiety if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I am not UC-ing (at least I don't think I am!! ..)..but I do not like the counting thing at all, and usually feel very weird because of it..I do keep a rough count going in my head..but I do not tell people the actual "due date" IRL very often..just Late July/Early August. I don't hold much faith in "the date" anyway! I usually go early..and even if this time I go late, I don't want that added pressure. The babe will come when she/he is ready and that is that!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I recently got an email from my MIL, who asked if I could give her a specific date, because, as she put it, "it would be more fun" to have an actual date to look forward to (!!!) For whom?
I haven't responded to her yet. People get so hung up on EDDs, so no, she's not getting a date. She can figure out how to have fun some other way. Sheesh!

I do count the weeks and months and days and whatnot, but not with an end date in mind because these li'l guys'll come when they come. It's easier when people at work ask me how far along I am and I have a definite answer for them, plus, I like counting.

I'm just hoping for July babies and not any earlier. And that's pretty much what I tell people when they ask when I'm due.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
I think counting makes the pregnancy go slower - don't you? I know a round about number mostly because I just found out. But the ladies in my due date club know to the *day* - wow! I watched my calendar last time and felt like I couldn't bear it another day by 35 weeks!

Seriously! I remember checking dates a few times of day. Wow did my first preg. go by slow. Now I am like," another week...crap...how far along am I?"

I think it has to do with the 2nd preg too. Who has time to wait for baby. I am glad it takes 9 mos to prepare as I am super busy with my 2 yo and other babes I take care of.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I gave a rough estimate last time and it drove people bonkers...especially the dr. who did my pg confirmation so we could get a bc. I counted it out this time so I could give people a number so they'd leave me alone. Personally, I feel it'll be May. Sometime in May, probably not the 13th...but who knows. I don't like stressing over the numbers. Babies come when they're ready.

jiva

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't really know how far along I am. I know about when I conceived but I don't know how to calculate from there. Also I've gotten two different due dates from different clinics that are a week apart so, who knows right?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kettunainen View Post
I recently got an email from my MIL, who asked if I could give her a specific date, because, as she put it, "it would be more fun" to have an actual date to look forward to (!!!) For whom?
I haven't responded to her yet. People get so hung up on EDDs, so no, she's not getting a date. She can figure out how to have fun some other way. Sheesh!
My dad did something similar the other night. He called up and while talking, said "Can you pin the timeline down for me a bit more?"
I was like ?!? I already told you, beginning of September. How much more do you want me to pin it down?
Well, I want to make sure I'm around, so could you pin it down a bit more.
No, beginning of September is the best I can do, you'll have to just work around that.
Oh, ok.

I'm actually due Aug 25 (or maybe the 26th, or the 27th, depending on which doctor I talk to), but padded the number because I don't want anyone freaking out on me.

I'm not really keeping track of anything other than the fact that I should be able to feel movement soon. Once I feel that, I doubt I'll continue to keep track of weeks at all.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.