Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone not have dr. do the apgar ratings for their newbie? I was just wondering and wanting some input on this? Is this a state law or the best interest for the babies? Anyone with info on this? Where to look? So far we are declinning at the birth of our babies to be the eye gunk, vit K unless severly bruised, and PKU to be delayed till about 7-8 days old so there will be no needles at all right after birth unless of course emergencies arrise or we have to do the apgare scoring which then if heel has to be pricked for that then I say why not let them squeeze the heel for a dab more blood and go ahead with the PKU testing at that time as long as babies have ate for at least 24 hrs (+ more) if possible.

Thanks,
KElly
EDD 2/14/07
Expecting Twins

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Apgars don't hurt or even touch the baby. They are a scale rating how the baby looks, sounds, appears, tone, color. It doesn't interfere with the baby. Most practioners can do this without even touching the baby. Baby is blue. 0 points. Baby is crying. 2 points. Then they add up the score.

As far as PKU, what state are you in? The protocol for testing depends upon what you are testing for. For states that test for more things, having the heel stick earlier, is good in terms of getting a "fasting" blood sample. For PKU specifically you want a sample when they have been eating.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mamaverdi,

Sorry I had a blonde moment it appears at 12:30 a.m this morning when I posted that about the Apgar scoring. I was thinking they did heal sticks for that for some reason...
: Yes the PKU I did some reading on and it and it states that it is a inherited disease?? caused by the absence of the enzyme that converts excess phenylalanine into another amino acid called tyrosine. Then when the phenlalanine level builds up in a baby's blood , it can cause brain damage, seizures, and mental retardation.

So if in fact this is an inherited disease why do alot of people have the test when clearly no one in my family of five doesn't have it nor my immediate or his immediate family have it. Seems like another test I should decline if in fact it is inherited....

Well sorry not meaning to ramble

Back to answer your question. I live in Alabama.

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
I declined the PKU and plan to do so again. It's so rare, and I just think a baby should be brought into the world without being forced to experience pain.
But yes, the APGAR score does not even require touching the baby. Of course, I am planning a UC and will not be giving my baby a numerical score of her health at birth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.