Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And just mashing up regular table food, and waiting for finger food to begin. I give Cormac table food mashed up and watered down, whatever were eating about once a day. But really only enough to make him happy and feel like hes up eating at the table with us.....anyone else totally lazy about food. I did the homeade baby food with #1 and it was to much work.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
We don't do baby-food either... Connor won't eat it unless he can feed it to himself... so we just mash up whatever we're eating... in terms of snack food we cut up mango, pears, avocado and other mushy goodies... he loves it.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
We didn't even really mash.

We just gave ds bits of what we were eating. If the food was more difficult to eat, we'd do smaller bits. If it was really hard or tough and we were worried about it, we sometimes "mashed" our fork over it to break it up and soften it just a bit (or even chewed it once or twice with our front teeth), but I wouldn't even really call that mashing because it was done so minimally. ds experienced the wonder of food textures from early on!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We've been doing the same thing with DD. She gets whatever we're eating (whether I feel like sharing or not!
) and snacks on regular foods (chopped up fruit, crackers, shredded meat etc.) We're not even doing baby cereals but rather various hot cereals (oatmeal, barley, oat bran etc.)

With DS, I did the jars of baby food and I'm really not too sure why! It was so much extra work to make sure I was stocked up and I would often make shopping trips specifically to buy his food. DD has only had prunes from a jar a couple of times when she seemed to be "stopped up" and she really didn't like them at all. Fresh definitely seems to be the way to go!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

we've been offering dd pieces of fruits/veggies to pick up and feed herself. for the most part she just gums on them and sucks out the juices for now. when she's a bit older, we'll just give her table food in appropriate sized chunks.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
ds is 9mths, and we only just started giving him teething buscuits in the past week. We tryed at 6mths but he wasnt really interested and had a reaction.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I usually put whatever we're having in the mini-food processor... or zap it with a hand blender. Seems to work fine, although DS (10 months) still really only cares about breast milk at this stage.... oh... and Teddy Puff thingies.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, my girl is mad for "cheerios" and bread crusts, but baby food is completely uninteresting to her. I am trying to make sure she gets fruit and veg but she really only likes fruit if she can have a whole one to hold on to and suck.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
What's the difference between homemade baby food and mashing up table food? I thought the point of not getting the gerber stuff was to just make your fruits and veggies to appropriate size and consistancy for your baby.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yeah we don't do baby food either. DD gets what we are having for dinner, run through the babyfood grinder (which, ok, yes, is technically making baby food, but I'm not storing it or anything.)

She can have tastes of everything, except chocolate, nuts and shellfish.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn
What's the difference between homemade baby food and mashing up table food? I thought the point of not getting the gerber stuff was to just make your fruits and veggies to appropriate size and consistancy for your baby.
No difference between homemade baby food and mashing up table food, except some people make special foods specifically for baby and have them stored to get the convenience of the Gerber junk. However, mashing up table food is even more convenient, IMO.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the other difference is that table food is spiced. Though if I'm going to put a lot of salt or margerine in something i take ds portion out first....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We also sometimes chew food up and just spit it into ds' mouth. Resulting hilariously inm the fact that both kids as babies tried to french kiss anyone who came close! They would really get a tongue in there and fish around when grandma tried to give them a smoch.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I've had three babies, and I've never made or bought "baby food." It never made sense to me to go through any extra work

·
Registered
371 Posts
No baby food here. Some of the best advice I recieved when Anna was born was from a family friend who told us that she didn't feed her kids (anything othter than breast milk, of course) until they could "sit up and eat steak."

Anna's 13.5 months and is just now begining to eat a little table food. We have given her little bits of whatever we're eating for a while, but she's just starting to actually eat it.

I feel so proud that we are allowing her to reach milestones at her own pace.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
We started on single jarred foods like green beans and peas. BIG mistake but don't get on my ass about it- first kid, ya know? Jarred baby food is NOT convenient and lags behind horribly in the nutrition dept. Not only that but it created a baby who is finicky about textures and at almost a year old is now finally coming around to eating "real" food. We are not giving jarred food to our upcoming arrival unless its prunes, which have always helped our first when he has constipation issues.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
No baby food here either. I don't even really mash and water down. Today we had tacos so he had crumbled ground beef, diced, steamed zucchini, and (fat free) refried beans. I do have a couple jars in the freezer of baby friendly leftovers that I chopped with a manual processor in case he wants dinner and we are having something completely un baby friendly. Beef roast with lentils & chicken with rice and carrot.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
we did a bit with our dauther, but it was too much of a hassle. m's been getting bits of whatever we eat and snacks on fruit, cheerios and teething biscuts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts