Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I haven't. I doubt I will until the 18-20 week timeframe. For myself, I just don't see the point of early ultrasound. I've had no symptoms or conditions that would indicate I'm high risk in any way, so I figure I'll leave well enough alone. I think my body would give me a sign if there were a problem, and even if there were, an ultrasound would only be confirming it, not treating it.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
My MW doesn't routinely use them, so we probably won' t have one unless there is a problem. We haven't gotten one yet.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
None here... in my last two pregnancies I got one around 20 weeks, but only as a compromise with my husband. This pregnancy I won't be getting one at all unless there is a definite medical need (such as a suspected placenta previa, for example.)

·
Registered
540 Posts
None yet. We will be getting a quick doppler for the heartbeat at around 13 weeks, though. I miscarry frequently (treating with heparin
: ) and I want the reassurance of the heartbeat but I have miscarried after the early transvaginal ultrasounds have shown a heartbeat so they really don't reassure me. I have read about the possible risks of ultrasound on a developing baby and I feel I don't need any more possible problems during such a sensitive time of development as the embryonic time.

I am still on the fence about the later 16-20 week ultrasound, though. I had one with my last (successful, woohoo!) pregnancy that found "soft markers for chromosomal abnormalities". It was a false alarm but it caused me unbelieveable stress. Oth, I would like to know if this little one is likely to need emergency procedures for a heart defect, hydrocephalus, spina bifida, etc. ahead of time.

I will be bombarded with ultrasound towards the end of my pregnancy, however, to check for placental clots (if the heparin fails) on a weekly basis. I am okay with this.

So, nope, you're not the only one.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I haven't, my first appt with my midwife isn't even until Dec. If I decide to have one it will probably be around 20 weeks.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You are not alone mama! I will have one around the 20 week mark, I think
And hoping to hear the heartbeat at my next appt-in 2 weeks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommitola
I haven't. I doubt I will until the 18-20 week timeframe. For myself, I just don't see the point of early ultrasound. I've had no symptoms or conditions that would indicate I'm high risk in any way, so I figure I'll leave well enough alone. I think my body would give me a sign if there were a problem, and even if there were, an ultrasound would only be confirming it, not treating it.
: It has not be proven that Ultrasounds are perfectly safe for the baby, so I won't have any of them, unless I have a condition that requires one of course.

·
Registered
200 Posts
well i should change my post. I wasn't planning on having one, but am having one in a week. I've been having brown/pink spotting for almost 2 weeks and for my emotional stability have chosen to go have one done. Hopefully it shows that everything is good!!

Julia

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selesai
I wonder, can you find out if you are having twins without an ultrasound?

I was wondering this too. I assume it's the only way to know for sure... you could probably hear both heartbeats and I would think a MF or OB could feel that there are 2 babies later in pregnancy. I know my mom's dr thought I was twins because I had a heart murmur and they thought it was a second heartbeat... but I wouldn't know how competent he was.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.