Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>seriously i cant stand it anymore!!! we just moved to get away from the city b/c we thought thats why we had mice buts its like there are more mice here!!!! ahhhhhh. i grew up in MA and everywhere i have lived has had mice. sometimes they dont really bug you and on the central/western side it seems they wont leave you alone ever! is it me or has anyone else experienced this too?</p>

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
<p>I'm in MA. Yes, we have mice. Not in our living area, though, just in our (unfinished) basement.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will tell you this: I am very grateful I don't live in a place conducive to roaches. In the south, you have to be absolutely meticulous and never let a single crumb escape or you will have roaches.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mice in my basement? Meh.</p>
<p><br>
Roaches in my kitchen? <Runs away screaming></p>

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>well we have people who live under us currently and the mouse or mice has come up here and sang literally so i run out there and im like wth? errr so then yesterday i found mice poop in MY BED! omg. so im freaking out going to talk to the people who run the apartments and DEMAND they do something about this, if not guess we are moving...again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>usually if the neighborhood has mice everyone has mice btw. you just may not have seen the signs yet...they can hide it well. we lived one place a whole year and never knew we had mice until we moved and found a dead one and feces in alot of places.</p>

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
<p>Yes, in a multi living situation, you are more likely to have mice, roaches, whatever. Only one has to be a slob for everyone to have the pests.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've lived in a lot of places with mice on one level or another (not the pooping in my bed level, though). And I've lived in this house for 6 years. I'm pretty sure the mice are in the basement, I've never seen any sign of poop or chewed boxes or paper or anything in the living area here. Also we have two cats.</p>

·
Registered
4 Posts
<p>Cats are the answer!  Sounds silly, but they do keep the mice population down, and even to zero.  Now that the weather is turning cold those mice are looking to come into warm places for the winter.  I think there are also some high frequency anti-pest repellents that work pretty well and do not involve traps or poison.  Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yes MA. Yes mice. You can hear them in the walls some times. Icky! Two cats in the house mean that I've never seen a live one in the living area. I do find droppings in the eaves though.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<p>no pets allowed here!! i would totally get a cat...</p>
<p>ive tried those plug in things and they never seemed to work</p>

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>No mice!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We had mice when we first bought the place but spent a few years figuring out how they were getting in.  Once we found it and filled it (near the space where foundation turns to house) it has never been a problem.  We've been mouse free for 9 years now.  Outside they are everywhere!  In the wood piles (I hate uncovering a nest of baby mice knowing they will probably die), getting in the chicken's food, making nests in the sheds, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In a multi-family unit can you find out how they get into your space?</p>

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<p>hmmm that would be hard. i mean we live - not so much on a cliff but kind of. the river is right behind us so we dont go in the yard. however i did report it and the agency sent some guy out to set things up outside and what not. these were all built only 10 years ago so idk if there would be a gap or not. i have a feeling the single young male downstairs isnt the cleanest of people lol he may be triggering them as well. we are right on top of him and are on street level but he is on ground level KWIM? they live in the walls...i can hear them. the one that was "visiting" in the kitchen was like the cutest little guy. i dont have a problem with mice per se i just dont want to get any diseases or anything from the feces and i dont want feces everywhere!!! i tried putting peppermint oil around the perimeter of our rooms...havent seen any mice in a few days or heard them. so maybe it works??</p>
<p>was also wondering if anyone has tried using fox urine? can you still buy that at the hardware stores?</p>

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
<p>I don't think cleanliness has much to do with mice coming inside for the winter.  All the people I know who have mice (All but one are in single family homes) have very clean homes (they also have housecleaners/housekeepers at least once a week.)  So I'm talking <em>really</em> clean.</p>
<p>In New England, mice tend to go into homes to get out of the cold.</p>

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
<p>I live in a drafty old 260+ year old farm house and yes we mice.  The ultrasonic things do nothing. All of our food is in sealed glass containers, we rarely leave dishes out, keep a very clean house and have a small dog. All to no avail.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This time of year the cold weather and feral cats that overtake our barn in the winter send them running to our home. The worse thing about mice is that if you see one you know that you have PLENTY more. I have no issue putting down poison.</p>

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
<p>We found out we had mice when we moved to our house. </p>
<p>It was rather unpleasant because we had a whole house to unpack and the mice could  get into several of the kitchen cabinets and of course into  the boxes.  I had to put away the food-product all stuffed into a few 'safe' cabinets to get all the food product put away and we were vigilant about cleaning. </p>
<p>I sealed up the cabinets so the mice shouldn't be able to get directly into our cabinets, and re packed everything. After we moved in more we haven't seen them in the kitchen/first floor, but they are around in the garage and basement.</p>
<p>At one point we thought that the mice were chewing wires in the walls so we were a bit concerned about that causing a fire (turned out to be non-mouse related).  I had someone come to assess mouse proofing.  We have a 4 bedroom house which has a downstairs addition (study/family room) and the quote was for $900 and gauranteed for 1 year.</p>
<p>Well, we haven't done that...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If we weren't allergic, we'd get a cat. Our dog might discourage them slightly.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Jessica</p>

·
Registered
74 Posts
<p>No mice here.  We live in a neighborhood of 120+ year old homes & no mice.  Not even in our creepy basement.</p>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts