Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 4 month old and 28 month old and have NO freaking idea how much they weigh/ how tall they are. DD #2 wasn't even weighed or measured at birth. They are healthy and growing though. I always feel like the freak or bad mom for not knowing. Anyone else part of the clueless about babe's stats club?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
i do the oh-so-scientific method of standing on the scale holding m, then standing by myself. k can weigh herself and we measure her against a wall; i mark spots on the floor with m and measure the distance.

we don't do well-baby and m hasn't seen a doc since he was less than 24 hours old. we're going to the inlaws for christmas this year-- fil is a ped, perhaps i'll hijack an exam room for some specific numbers!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Pretty clueless here. Once in awhile we check dd's weight on our analog bathroom scale... she's around 27 or 28 lbs.... and I measured her on the wall a couple of months back because I was curious... she was around 34.5 in.

-Angela

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
So, you're not curious about how big she is? You don't notice growth from one week to the next? I just don't know how you can't WANT to know how big a kiddo is.

My guy hasn't had a doctor visit since his 1st b'day, but still, I check out his weight and height (and sometimes head, but that's a tricky measurement for even trained people to do correctly)...I like to know!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mollyeilis View Post
So, you're not curious about how big she is? You don't notice growth from one week to the next? I just don't know how you can't WANT to know how big a kiddo is.
I count the fat rolls and fat dimples. Counting the cellulite pockets on this girl is like counting the stars. I still notice the growth, just in other ways.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
My 8 month old DD has NEVER been weighed or measured, aside from in the hospital. I really don't care how much she weighs...it's just a number. I can PLAINLY see she is growing & healthy. What purpose would knowing the EXACT weight & measurement serve?

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
I don't know my baby's stats either. We haven't taken her to the doctor since she was around 4-5 months old. We don't do well baby visits. She looks chubby/healthy to me, so I assume she's doing fine!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
What purpose would knowing the EXACT weight & measurement serve?
I do it because I scrapbook and it is fun to document (it does not need to be "exact"). Also, I like to compare the stats between my two kiddos (not as a competition) just to see how their development is similar/different.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
We kept track until she was 4 months old because we had health problems, but she hasn't been to the ped since then, so all our "measurements" are unscientific and not very exact. It's nice to know a general number, but I don't stress about getting down ounces or fractions of an inch.

From our bathroom scale she is about 17/18 pounds.. give or take.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I didn't know those things. I also don't know ages for developmental milestones. My baby was just my baby - it didn't matter if she was "early" or late. I honestly thought it was better that way. I wasn't looking at her in an evaluative way - comparing her on charts or anything.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
What purpose would knowing the EXACT weight & measurement serve?
I think some people are just numbers oriented. I'm not. I don't measure for recipes accurately, and when I really get to know a recipe, I tweak it. Most of my own things I make regularly are recipes that drive most people mad. So knowing the stats on my baby isn't a must for me. I like to know an idea, and will occasionally use the exact science of the bathroom scale. It's also fun to go to the produce department and make people turn heads while you weigh your babe.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I have no idea how much my ds weighs or how long he is, and I never knew his head circ. I try to do the weigh myself with and without him once in awhile when we visit someone who owns a scale (we don't), mostly so that I know what medicine dose he gets--I give him ibuprofen for teething.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
We stopped doing WBV's, so I have no idea. My children are healthy, thriving, happy, and very well taken care of. My 3.5 month old is a BIG boy, and tall, too. They're both doing fine. I let myself get all freaked out about growth charts and percentiles with my firstborn, and its all such a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
DD1 stepped on the scale the other day at my mom's house, she is 28 lbs and is almost 4 years old. I haven't known her height since she was born. DD2 was weighed at birth but we didn't bother to measure anything, and probably never will.
I lnow my dc are healthy and growing, that's all I care about.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'll join the club!!

I have a general idea about weight, ds LOVES the scale right now. But i definatly dont walk around talking percentiles with other moms. I've often wondered if the other moms (mainstream ones) think I'm weird, since they tell me these things and I never offer any info, mainly b/c I dont know any!! We dont do well baby checks.

Oh well, like someones siggy says, wierd is better than the alternative!!!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I like to know (and I do it like others have said, on the bathroom scale, holding him), cause well, there is that place to write it down on his calendar.
I have one of those baby's first year calendars where I write down stuff that happened ("we went out to eat today" "we drove to grandma's today"). I'm a sentimental sap like that, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.