Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered three Little Beetle dipes over the weekend and they arrived yesterday in the mail...I couldn't wait to try them since I've heard great things about how they are good as far as absorption....I called Better for Babies and asked if I needed to wash the hemp one seperate from the velour (I got one hemp lite, one hemp original and one LBOV One)....she told me that the hemp is washed 3 times before they make the dipes so I could wash them with the velour one but not to wash any new hemp dipes with them because the hemp oils could get on them....anyway, I washed them like she said and tried them this morning...Tommy had the hemp lite on for about 15 minutes before he wet right through it and the LBOV One on for about an hour before he wet through it...haven't tried the Original hemp yet....I was under the assumption these were good for heavy wetters and lots of people even used them overnight with wool covers....do you think I washed them incorrectly and caused an issue with the absorption? Anyone else try them? I was kind of hoping to make these my main fitted option since everyone raves about them....but not if they are going to get peed through in less than an hour. I had the extra leaf booster in them and had it folded up to the front too but he wet through all the layers anyway. These are a low rise dipe and I'm wondering if maybe low rise dipes aren't good for boys since they tend to pee up in the front of the dipe....only the front and top of the waist was THAT wet...the back of the dipe was completely dry.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't know, but a lady on another board I post on just had similar problems with a brand new regular Little Beetle Hemp. It was prewashed, but leaked right through the first night she used it.

I'll be watching the responses with curiosity, because I was looking at getting a few Little Beetle diapers for my babe on the way.

:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Oh, and if you don't mind me asking.. how long does the Little Beetle One take to dry? Those are the ones I'm looking at getting.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe it just needs washed a few more times? I've heard that sometimes hemp can take up to 8 washes and dryer cycles to reach full absorbancy and fluffiness....she said it had been washed 3 times...so maybe that's the issue? If I get time in the next two days, I'll try washing and drying it a few more times to see if that helps. I hope that's the problem! I REALLY want these dipes to work.

Oh...the Little Beetle One only took me one dryer cycle on Medium heat....I will probably dry it on low for about 30 minutes and then hang it to dry from now on...but I like to dry all my dipes in the dryer on a higher setting when I first get them. The tabs that hold the velcro back on the LB One are kind of small so I had to check it a couple of times to make sure the velcro stayed hooked and out of the way....it did, but I did readjust one side of it about halfway through the dryer because it looked like it was coming loose a bit....if they made those tabs bigger, it would work better.....The Organic Velour is sooooo soft and cuddly though....I just love the feel of it! And it actually held up better to Tommy peeing than the hemp lite did...at least so far.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Maybe it does just need to be washed more. Report back if you think about it after you've washed it a few more times.

Thanks for the drying time info. Sounds like it really is quick drying. One complaint I've read about the original hemp is that it takes FOREVER to dry, so I'll be staying away from that one for sure.;-)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will definitely report back after I wash a few more times....

I dried my Original hemp and my Hemp lite in the same load with my Organic One and they all seemed to dry at about the same speed....the hemp ones might have had a tad of dampness when I took them all out and the Organic One was completely dry....but I just hung the hemp ones up and they were fine by morning....I would say, though, that the Organic One dries the fastest and it's soooo soft! Although, I hear the the hemp will just keep getting softer and softer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have LB hemp, hemp lite and OV and I like them, but I do have other dipes I like better. I don't like my aplix ones, the tabs never stay back and always come out of the dryer with something attached to them and they are getting kind of icky. I can get the hemp lite and OV dry in 2 dryer cycles on medium, but the originals I still have to hang to dry after 2 cycles. So basically I like my other fitteds better with snap in soakers that will dry in 1 or 2 cycles. Did you have a doubler in the ones that soaked through? Maybe try 2 doublers or fold up the beetle booster for a front wetter? Sometimes it can take up to 10 wash/dry cycles to reach full absorbancy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have hemp originals and hemp lites and some little beetle ones on the way (an exchange since the lites didn't work for us) I havent been too impressed. My son wets through the lites within 30 min, and the originals are so bulky in the crotch he can only waddle. That said he does go 12 hr nights in an original with 2 doubler and a wool soaker. The dipe is soaking wet in the morning, but we have never had a leak. Leah has been great trying to make us happy with our purchase, she took back the unused lites and is sending out some LBO's, so i hope i like them! Sometimes i think it isn't the dipe i don't like but the doublers, they just don't seem to do much. I don't know, I am lost for now...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I have an extra doubler inside each dipe and I also have the front and back of the one that is sewn into the dipe folded to the front for extra absorbancy...but he still peed right through it in one pee. *sigh* I will try washing them a few more times and adding another doubler to see if that helps. I don't think I ever thought much about it because I changed TOmmy so often when he wore disposables but I think he must be a heavy wetter! A lot of the fitteds I have are completely soaked after just one pee in them. Right now, pocket dipes with a hemp insert an a terry insert (or a prefold) are working best for us....I was trying to find a good fitted though because I have some really cute covers I'd like to use and I only have a couple of pocket dipes. Plus, it would be kind of nice to be able to use those soft, breathable fitteds without any covers over them while we are at home...rather than have a layer or two of PUL on him....ah well...I'll keep trying!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't think you've done anything wrong! And your hemp will get more absorbant with each wash. That being said, it is normal for *any* cloth diaper to get peed through in one pee- that is the beauty of cloth- they are porous and breathable and don't keep that pee next to baby! Sometimes people don't realize that these diapers do require covers for waterproofing- it is not like disposables where the baby can pee several times before changing. My daughter will soak through with every pee on every diaper we've ever tried- and we've tried more brands than I can even remember, lol! I think it's unrealistic to expect a diaper not to soak through- that is why we have covers
We do a LBOriginal with 2 doublers overnight with an Aristocrats or my amazing Celtic Wolf wool cover. The diaper is soaked in the morning- but no leaks!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I don't like mine either...I have a little beetle one and hemp original that I just got recently with the hopes of using them for night diapers. NOT going to happen...I put TWO of the extra doublers in for backup and my dd wet right through them...with the little beetle one it was so bad that I had to change her in the middle of the night which I haven't had to do since she was an infant. I'm sure they work well for some people but just not for us.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.....I do usually use a cover with my fitteds...right now, usually a Wigglewormbottoms cover or a Stacinator fleece.....But when I tried the hemp lite on Tommy the other morning, my fleece covers were still a bit damp so I didn't have one on him. I had heard that the Little Beetle dipes, though, were usually good for heavy wetters and when combined with the doublers, that some people didn't even need to use a cover while at home and if they were changed frequently. I change Tommy quite frequently....usually at least every 2 hours or less....but I've been going through 3-4 diapers in a 2 hour period lately....even with doublers. I was hoping that I could get by with the doublers being wet but not the outside of the diaper....that way I could use my covers more than once without being washed.

I will say that I used my LB Original Hemp yesterday and it worked great! We had to travel for about 4 hours and I put Tommy in that with an extra doubler, plus the attached doubler (all folded to the front of the dipe) and I added a thin terry doubler underneath all of this)...I covered him with a Wigglewormbottoms cover and when I changed him, the doublers were quite wet but the terry one on the underneath that I added was barely damp and the outside of the dipe wasn't damp at all. I was quite impressed!

I am going to wash and dry all the LB dipes a few more times and give them all another shot (especially since you girls say that the more you wash hemp, the better it gets)....but I definitely will try more of the Original hemp ones and hopefully I can try more of the Ones...they are so soft and yummy!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just thought I'd update everyone on this situation....I have since washed and dried my LB dipes multiple times and am really, really liking them! The Original Hemp and the One are both doing great for my son...plus, they are pretty trim to be that absorbant so that's great! The Hemp Lite dipes doesn't work for us at night but I don't think that has much to do with the dipe, but more that my son is a very heavy wetter. I use the Lite dipe in the daytime with not a lot of issues as long as I change him quickly...which I always try to do...but the Orginal Hemp and the One are both working great for daytime and nighttime....I use a wool cover with them and am very satisfied. ANyway, I just wanted to post this so everyone would know the update...I'm definitely a fan of the LB dipes now and am going to order some more. Leah has been extremely helpful too...she's very nice to work with!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.