Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with the no-poo baking soda and ACV regimen a couple of months ago, and for about 3 weeks I have been making the transition to not washing my hair with anything. I rinse it (and, I ideally, myself) every day, but I don't ever wash it. So far so good. Looks good, feels nice, not greasy.<br><br>
If you don't use hair cleaners: did you have dry, itchy scalp for a while at first, and did it go away? I have this sort of dandruff-y flaking, but it isn't a real skin condition. Is the water drying my head out, and will it adjust? Should I go back to the ACV rinse to combat this?<br><br>
If I ever style my hair with product, will I have to start all over again?<br><br>
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Oh, the title of the thread is a little misleading. Since I no-poo, I don't use shampoo at all. But I do use the no-poo cleaning solution.<br><br>
Some people have made water-only work, but most people get the dandruff and related issues. Some use salt water which I guess is remotely similar to BS?<br><br>
My guess is that it isn't that the water is drying your scalp, but that it is not removing the dead skin.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Could be you need a good scrub to remove the flakes or it could be that you need a rinse like an acv or lemon rinse to keep the pH of your scalp and hair balanced. Our water here is a pH 8, skin and hair are naturally quite a lot lower than that so you might try the dilute acid rinse after your water rinse. All it takes is a tablespoon or two of acv or lemon per cup of water.<br><br>
Sometimes you just get flakes and it's a hormonal or internal thing. I went no poo over two years ago but this winter when I got pregnant my scalp went all goofy and I got horrible dandruff, so I've been using a dandruff shampoo now and then to keep it under control.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I posted that question I thought maybe the ACV was the issue, because we soften our water. It did the trick. I think I just don't need the baking soda because I don't need to de-grease, but I still need to balance the pH to keep from getting so dry.,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts