Mothering Forum banner

Anyone over 40?

501 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gr8tfulmom 
#1 ·
I'm 40 now, I'll be 41.5 at delivery. I was 37 with #1 and did lots of testing, including CVS at 10 weeks. I am not planning any testing, unless a u/s shows something abnormal. Feeling nervous though...I haven't been to a dr. yet and I know the dr. will be pushing for lots of testing and showing me the scary charts again. Ugh. Might see a midwife instead; but I have some health issues so need to have them review my records from #1 first.

I'm more worried about chasing a toddler and taking care of a newborn when I am so old and tired

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I'm 39, & will be almost exactly 2 months from my 40th b-day when I'm due; I had my 1st DD 6 months ago, & did the triple screen & a level 2 ultrasound; probably go the same way again, as it's pretty non-invasive (& my HMO covers it.) Didn't want anything more risky, as I was preg. after a recent mc.

#4 ·
I guess the question is, what would you do differently if tests showed there was a problem? For instance, if it wouldn't change anything, why test for it? Personally, even if I had no insurance, I'd still do an ultrasound (mostly to check heart/spine development), but I'm a bit of a fiddler w/things, & always ultrasound my dogs when they're preg. I know dr's are gung ho on tests, but I already refuse almost all of them anyway.

#5 ·
Hi ladies, I'm 33, but feel old compared to the IRL preggos I know. We did the quad screen and US last time and may this time if we end up at a traditional practice & hospital. If we decide to do homebirth I won't get them done. If we were to 'find out' anything it really wouldn't change the course for us, just be a 'heads' up'.

cyncyn, I'm right there with you on chasing a toddler and a nb feelings, I feel like I did this in another life with my girls 10 years ago
and I'm not so sure I'm up to it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.