Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have another appt. with my naturopath at the end of the month but would love some information sooner (if available). I saw her at the end of last summer because my cycles were erratic, I was feeling lousy and gaining weight. She went over my history and said that I may "tend toward PCOS" and sent me away with some dietary, lifestyle and suppliment suggestions. My cycles are much more regular now, though the past two cycles I've had a lot of cramping and PMS beginning about 8 days before expected AF. I did have a faint BFP last cycle and then an early mc (deemed a "chemical pregnancy") and thought those symptoms would be a one time thing but am currently experiencing much of the same thing again. To top it all off...I think my hair is really starting to thin
I've always had beautiful, abundant, thick hair. It's not so thick anymore and I feel like I can see too much of my scalp near my part when I wear a ponytail. My dh and I would like to get pregnant again but it's not happening very quickly (I did start to finally chart this month, but well into this cycle), add to that all these other symptoms and I'm getting scared. I'm not overweight (5'3", 115lbs) but I seem to be losing hair on my head and gaining it on my face/body. This sucks. I read about Saw Palmetto for treating these symptoms but you are NOT supposed to take it while TTC. What do I do? Give up on having a second and just take care of myself? I do not want to be a bald, miserable momma. Anyone else out there dealing with the same thing? Were you able to naturally treat the symptoms of your PCOS and have more children? Do you have any suppliment suggestion? Homeopathic remedies? Anything?

I'm currently taking Womens Phase 1, a prenatal, chromium piccolonate (sp?) AND I've been doing a liver/colon cleanse by Zand. HELP!

Thanks for reading. I'm freaking out!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have pcos...

I am currently on

Metformin- Regulates cycles, and aids in balancing hormones

Spironlactone- supresses the over production of male hormones and reduces facial hair. It takes a while to work, and if you still eat carbs, it wont work... I have facial hair, but it only grows back when I eat foods high in carbs. I have thick hair, but several years ago, It was thinning due to stress... not due to my pcos.

Clomid- aids in ovulation and regulates hormones

Folic acid, and baby asprin... I take all these meds and i am on my 5th cycle of clomid. I have one more month on it and then If no +hpt, I have to have a laproscopy to check for blockage...

Ask about Metformin and spironalactone... those might help, and try a low carb diet... I know many say they are not healthy... but if you do it right, it can help you out. I eat greens and meat. Broccli and cheese with a grilled chicken breast, or cabbage and a baked pork chop, or greens and some other meat. I dont endulge in hamburgers throwing away the bun, (Only when I really want one) I am still watching my fat intake, but am really counting the carbs... It seems to be working and I feel alot better.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for sharing. I will ask about Metformin and spironalactone at my next appointment.

I'm a vegeterian who relies a lot on soy for my protein. I've been reading about soy and how it could be a big no-no for those with PCOS and/or hormone imbalance. I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to eat, especialy with a low carb diet. I suppose I have some reading to do.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Natural treatment = change your diet.

Seriously. I'm not sure how you are eating now? But OMG this is the KEY. I swear. Get the book Syndrome X for more information.

Essentially, people with PCOS (I am one) IMO need to get off sugar and other high glycemic sweeteners, as well as refined grains (white bread, white rice, white pasta).

This is totally where it's at for restoring hormonal balance and restoring/preserving regular ovulation.

Ideally we should eat meat, vegetables, fruits, and a small quantity of whole grain foods. I've been doing this for over a year now and I feel immeasurably better. I also really notice a negative difference when I am eating too many whole grains. I never eat refined grains or sugar any more at all.

I don't even need Met anymore since making this change.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
ITA with the pp who say to cut out most carbs, especially high glycemic ones. Very much helps me. I am regular now with my diet being almost exclusively meat, veggies, some fruit, bit of beans and a very small amount of grains (whole of course). I'm also using some homeopathics and herbs, including EPO and Maca. I was dx'd with PCOS over ten years ago. I conceived DS with fertility drugs (injectibles). I now weigh 147, which is almost 30 pounds less than I used to weigh.
Some people are very good at converting grains and starches into energy, but I think if you have PCOS, you aren't. I used to be a vegetarian, and ate a lot of soy, and my PCOS was terrible. I was up to 200 pounds at one point. But just eating meat wasn't enough, I had to cut out sugars and starches as well. I now eat some fruits and honey, and a tiny bit of dark chocolate, but that I am thinking of phasing out.
By the way, OP, I live near you, we should get together.
Just a warning: Spironolactone isn't safe for TTC, it can cause birth defects!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thismomma: Thanks for the info and book suggestion. I will check that out. I didn't originally realize how important the carb connection was to PCOS but am making some changes now. I generally don't eat white grains but I do rely on a ton of carbs--breads, crackers, brown rice, pasta...beer and I love sweets. I have not touched meat/fish for over 15 years and can't imagine eating it now (never was a big fan) but I have had a craving for crab lately and decided I'd try it by weeks end (yikes!). I am cutting down on my soy intake and am not yet feeling deprived but food seems really boring now.

Pookietooth: Thanks for the info/support. Are you in Bothell?? It would be fun to meet! I also read that hair loss can be a result of low zinc or iron. Could be why I'm craving crab--the zinc?

Thanks again, everyone. I'll check out the book and read up on a low carb diet for myself--I'm hoping I can find something without a lot of meat.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Wow, I was also a veggie for 15 years. I'm recovering now. I can do chicken, and lots of eggs, but not much else.

Yeah, I would get off sweets and refined grains completely, and greatly diminish your whole grains intake. There are some sugar-free tribe threads around, or you could ask for recipes in the Nutrition forum. I have lots of ideas for what to eat!

Good luck. I found I saw a huge difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.