Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a career... ever. I've only really done retail work and hated it. I would like to become a doula though. But considering doulas don't make much to start if ever much at all, I'll need supplemental work. I don't want to put baby in daycare, so it'd be ideal to bring baby along (I have someone who can watch baby if I assist at births.) What kind of job allows this? Are there any at all?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think there are some jobs that will work with you. I am looking for someone to live-in (extra bedroom and bathroom) as part exchange for rent and utilities plus pay and would even welcome someone with a young one.

I had a single Mom friend with a 4 year old that is finishing nursing school so I thought it would work out really nice, she would have free rent and spend the day with her 4 year old and my newborn and then I could be with her daughter nights and weekends as needed while she went to school and studied... but I guess she gets more support still living at home with her Mom so she is going to keep doing that.

So I think childcare is an easy option if you are up for other people's children.
There is a montessori/reggio preschool near us that likes to hire new moms that are working on the montessori certs. They just bring baby with them and work there for a year or so. The little ones love having a tiny baby around and it's great for teaching them about the normalcy of breastfeeding and attachment parenting.

Then there is the world of pet/house sitting that can be erratic but work out well as supplemental income - I make a lot of money during the holidays doing this and it has been great for ds to form bonds with the cats and dogs and help out with their care-giving, and no commitment from me to have our own pets ;)

Crafting from home is another possibility

Thrifting high ticket baby items, knowing where to find them cheap and where to re-sell them. I have good luck with baby carriers in particular.

Meal prep for busy families, or lunch delivery for local office complexes.

Maybe you could even find another Mom who is in a similar position and do trades, you work in the morning then have both babies in the afternoon while she works kind of thing...

I'll be going with childcare for now to keep my ft salaried office job that has zero to do with my degree - just weird times i guess. But hoping to get things in order to purchase a fixer upper income property and then be able to have our own business and have the kids with us... quite a balancing and juggling act int he world today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts