Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't admitted it to anyone but DH, but I am really hoping for one sex over the other.

I am a total tomboy and think I would make a pretty lousy mom to a daughter. I don't do make-up or dresses or shoe shopping. Or Barbies or - god help me - Disney princesses.

Seriously - the sight of highly made up tween girls in barely there clothing is enough to make my hyperventilate.

I know that every little girl isn't a pricess obsessed, lipstick wearing, mini-paris hilton who is guaranteed to hate me by the time she is 13, but if we find out this litte one is a girl, I think I'm going to need some serious time to come to terms with that.

And then I feel horribly guilty.

So, anyone else scared to death of having a girl/boy?

·
Registered
967 Posts
With my first pregnancy I wanted a girl so badly!! I was terrified of having a boy! Everyone in my family had a girl for their first baby so I was sure I would too. When they told me at my first ultrasound that DS was a boy I started to cry. I tried to make it look like happy tears but the minute I got in the car I started sobbing! I drove to my mom's house and sat at her kitchen table and sobbed. I'd wanted a girl but I didn't realize how scared I was to have a boy.

Growing up my brother and I hated each other (we are super close now, though) and my dad and I barely spoke except to fight. I had mostly male friends and was more of a tomboy than a girly-girl, I just didn't know how I was supposed to BE with a boy, you know?

The minute he was born I forgot that I cared. I didn't believe the people who told me that it wouldn't matter, but it didn't. I had moments of wishing I could dress him in pretty dresses and paint his room pink, but it was never about his gender... mostly my color preferences, lol! Now, I wouldn't trade my DS for all the girls in the world. I am amazed every day at how sensitive, emotional and caring he is. Actually, his personality is much closer to what I thought raising a girl would be like... my DD isn't what I expected in the least! I spent my whole pregnancy not believing the 2 u/s techs that told me she was 100% girl! LOL!

I really have no preference this time around. I'm a little scared of having another girl simply because my DD has been challenging for me personality-wise. It would be wonderful to be able to dress another newborn all in pink (mostly because I way overbought for DD and have TONS of clothes from when she was tiny). I don't think I'll truly know how I feel this time around until the u/s tech says "It's a ______!

So, yes, I really know what it is like to have a strong preference and I also know that sometimes that isn't meant to be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have two boys and this is (probably!) my last baby. I desperately want a girl. I've wanted one each time...but with a lot less pressure with the first two. I knew we'd likely have two or three...and I think having the two boys close in age (22 mo. apart) is cool, but THIS time it's my LAST chance. I worry I will never feel my life is complete without a daughter. It makes me sad. And not because I want to dress her up and buy lots of girly things, but because I always envisioned my life with a girl. I kept my journals and special dolls...as a teacher I always connect deeply with adolescent girls...and I do NOT want to always be the mother-in-law or paternal grandma. I want to be close to a daughter the way only a mother can be...frequent phone calls, babysitting, good friends. I have that with my mother (I know, I'm so lucky!!) and I want that when I'm older. I hope my sons will call home and marry nice women who like me...but it's not the same. Having two healthy boys has been such a blessing. And if I have one more than I'll try to trust this was all meant to be. But I imagine I'll always feel something is missing.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I want a boy. I wanted and knew I was having a boy with DS. Since I didn't get to keep or experience having a boy I really hope this baby is a boy. I would be slightly disappointed if we're having a girl, but what I really want is a living, breathing baby I can keep at the end of this.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't think I kind too much either way. I would like a boy for DS's sake, but I guess 2 boys in a row puts on the pressure for a girl the next time
I have girl feelings so far with this one...

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
If you do have a girl you don't have to expose her to all that crap--disney princess and stuff. I was a total tom-boy, and having a girl is a lot of fun.

When I found out that my 3rd would be a girl, I was pretty shocked. I kust thought of myself as a mother of boys. But she has been the best blessing ever. And her favorite color is blue!

Our kids are our kids--they aren't the product of society and what society markets to you as female or male.
Sure there are some gender traits that seem to be inherent, but even so there is tons of latitude there. Each child is an individual.

So, just know that your child *is* the right one for you, whatever the flavor.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
my DH really wants a girl.

I am sort of back and forth depending on the day
but I definitely feel 'pressure to please' to have a girl.

I have a history of eating disorders so I worry about passing that onto a girl which is perhaps why I favor a boy but honestly I think I am ok with either, just the fear of the eating disorder thing sort of looms when I think of a daughter.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have one of each already, so I really have no preference this time. However, when I was pregnant with DD I wanted her to be a boy so badly. I didn't know what to do with a little girl. Like you I was a tomboy. Pretty much up until puberty, but then I was never extremely girly (i.e. I hate wearing makeup and dressing up). After the u/s that confirmed she was a she, it took me months to get used to the idea. I don't know what would have happened if we had decided to take the surprise at birth route. LOL

I love having a little girl now though. She's so girly in a lot of ways I can't quite understand. She loves ballet (begged me since she was 18 months old to sign her up for dance), prefers pink and purple over any other colors, loves dresses, princesses, dolls, makeup (although she was only allowed it twice for ballet). I don't know where she gets all this girlyness from because it's not from me. On the other hand, she's also a fierce little girl. She stands her ground with her big brother and actually bullies him around a lot of the times. She likes to run, tumble, play with boys. I love that there are so many facets to her personality. Some I can relate to more than others. I'm finding now that I'm even enjoying the more girly parts though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a son so this time I'd really like to have a daughter. I think I'd just like to experience raising both a boy and a girl -- not that each child isn't different anyhow, but I'd really like to know what it is like being the mother to a daughter. Of course I love my son and if this baby is another little boy I'll be ok with that too. I love my little boy, and although I was sort of afraid of having a son when I first got pregnant with him, now I can't imagine my first having been anything but a son. I know I'll have the baby I was meant to have, although I'm still hoping for a daughter just the same.
:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i was dieing for a girl this time being the mommie of 2 boys and this being my last baby
i got lucky we are haveing a girl!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts