Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My workplace just announced this policy. Either you get the shot or you provide proof/letter from a doctor stating you cannot get the shot. They have been very strict about the reasons a person would be excused by a medical doctor. I think the only reason is known allergies. I work with a nurse who has anaphylactic allergies to eggs so she was able to be excused. But otherwise they will fire you. I work as a peds nurse. <br><br>
Anyone else have thoughts about this or are you facing this yourself? I didn't mind getting my shot because I have severe asthma that gets dangerous with the flu and other infections. But i know of a couple of nurses who are very angry about this.</p>

·
Registered
320 Posts
<p>I was required to get one this year because I am in a nursing program and will be working at a clinical placement with a vulnerable population (LTC/nursing home) this coming semester. I really don't have a problem with it. I do feel a responsibility to do everything I can to protect the people I am caring for. I typically get a flu shot every year though, due to my work as a doula and childbirth educator. Again, vulnerable/immunocompromised populations .... I would feel terrible if I didn't do what I could to reduce the chance of transmitting something to the families I work with.</p>

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
<p>I don't have a problem with it. I know that the flu shot is not the most effective of shots, but I think that nurses and healthcare workers who have contact with seriously ill/very young/immunocompromised patients should be willing to take steps to protect them even if the steps are not "perfect". I'm not nuts about it being mandated in an ambulatory setting, though, but I don't think I've heard about that happening. I don't think it's fair to patients to not get the flu shot just because you don't want to, which assuming you yourself are fairly healthy exposes your patients to more risk than it exposes you to. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm in an ambulatory setting. I wouldn't agree with it being mandated in my own workplace, though I do get it every year just because I don't want the flu (and, this year, because I'm pregnant and because close friends of ours have a preemie). I got the shot for my daughter this year as well since the new baby is coming, but I'm kind of mixed still on whether I will continue to get shots for my kids when they are in due course (I assume) healthy and grade-school or high-school age. Separate issue though. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>USAmma, I'm surprised your egg-allergic colleague couldn't get the Flucelvax. It isn't supposed to be a problem for people with egg allergies, unlike the other variations. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts